iMac Mid 2011 21´5 White screen

Reaction score
I have the white screen problem and it does not load OS X, change the HDD because it was damaged.

Had the captain installed, but failed to boot OS X with the damaged disk.

In the new HDD try installing OS X but the screen appeared and installed windows 10 (the only OS I could install).

Enter the Apple hardware test and say that the OS it recognizes is Sierra, but only has W10 installed.

I can not open disk utility, because it never finishes loading the OS X installer and it looks like the white screen.

What I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What OS X are you trying to install, and with what media? And it sounds like the new HDD is formatted NTFS which is they was 95% come from the factory, whereas you needed to format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from a Snow Leopard or other DVD,or a thumb drive with El Capitan burnt on it prior to running the Installer.

OP
I
Reaction score
I try to install MacOs Sierra by means of USB, already try with the original disk (snow leopard) but neither.

Partition the disk in 2, I can not install linux, format it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on an OS X virtual machine but does not detect it.

The problem is also that the utilities option in the boot does not appear and I can not use disk utility because it never finishes loading.

OP
I
Reaction score
I have a partition with windows and the other is not formatted, but I should be able to format it from OS X utilities but I can not because it never loads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What USB are you referring to ~ a thumb drive with Sierra burnt to it via DiskMaker X or similar, an external USB drive backed up with Sierra via cloning software, or someone else's USB whatever?

I believe with the new hard drive, you are going to have to erase and format the drive, and with a bootbale USB device with Sierra on, boot from that, and go into Utilities to do the format.

OP
I
Reaction score
Create a USB with diskmaker with Macos Sierra.

When I press the ALT key to select the boot order it appears like this:

https://preview.ibb.co/cUwJvm/IMG_6216.jpg
https://ibb.co/dWrho6
https://ibb.co/k2fmFm

But to have to use the utilities of MacOS I need to select either the USB or the original disk but when selecting them the white screen remains and I can not format.

I already did all these tests too
https://appletoolbox.com/2014/09/mac-fix-white-screen/

I tried to boot with Ubuntu Live, but it did not work :/

W10 is now installed and everything works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alt key? That may be your problem using a Windows keyboard. Ubuntu has the capability of killing OS X ston e dead so it sounds like you have a real mess on your hands.

However if the DVD/thumb drive/external drive with Sierra on it appears with the little arrow under it, click on that and see if it will load. If any joy, go the menu bar, select utilities, erase disk, format, and proceed. Of course that will destroy Windows 10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay your USB whatever is not bootable.

With another Mac go to the App Store and download Sierra using your Apple ID and download a new copy. Download Diskmaker X. Pop in an +8GB USB thumb drive and go to Disk utility and format the thumb drive. Into Applications Folder and follow Diskmaker's instructions. When you have a valied copy, reboot, hold down 'C' and when it loads go into Utilities and format the new hard drive and then back to the Installer and let it run and complete the install and then do an update to OS X.12.6.

http://diskmakerx.com

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Only one problem with that advice.... Sierra is no longer available from the Mac App Store, not even from your "purchased" items. Why Apple removed Sierra is beyond me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Charlie, what is Apple trying to do? Every other OS from Lion till El cap is there but no Sierra.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, same here Dennis. The only macOS version missing is Sierra. I don't know what Apple is doing by removing Sierra. Lots of folks still need to download or redownload Sierra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP understood you had Sierra on a USB device, which information is like pulling tweeth. What do you have on what and where did you get it?

OP
I
Reaction score
I am using an OS X virtual machine, in Mac App Store download Sierra and I did boot with diskmaker, my problem is that to format it as in all the tutorials I have to enter the disk or usb, but when I enter the screen remains blank and I can not get into the utilities.

I'm going to try with High Sierra

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.