Imac locked up on me and now it won't start up again!

Reaction score
I have a 24" g5 imac, which was running OSX 10.6.8. My hard drive for this computer crashed about 6 months ago, but I switched it out and have had very little trouble with it since. About two months ago, I couldn't get my printer, or any other printer to work on the Imac. Not sure if it's related, but it might be worth mentioning.

Anyway, today, I was watching a movie on netflix, and checking my Email, when suddenly my screen goes blank. The sound from the movie keeps going for about thirty seconds, when that suddenly turns into a repeated clicking noise like a broken record. I couldn't force a shutdown, so I pulled the power cable out.

The computer felt a little hot, so I thought maybe it overheated. I left the power cable unplugged and let it cool down for an hour or so.

Then when I plugged it back in and tried starting it up, I heard the usual clicks of the drive starting up, and then nothing else. The screen stayed dark and the mac didn't make any other sounds like internal fans or the drives actually working beyond the initial clicks.

I tried letting it cool down more and this time when I tried it, the screen did come on. I saw the usual gray startup screen, but it immediately started flickering and lines like TV static went across it a few times. It blinked on and off a couple more times and then went dark again.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Is my whole computer fried, or it possible there's just a few components I can replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
you don't have a g5 iMac at all g5 where powerpc macs and where white and they don't run snow leopard and it sounds like the power supply failed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.