iMac late 2009 screen issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66ghz i5 27" 4gb
Hi,
I have a blemish on my screen, it looks like a shadow, irregular in shape & form, it runs from top to bottom of the screen on the RHS.
Have attached a photo as it did not show in a screen shot. I thought it may be dust so removed & cleaned both glass & led screen, but the blemish remains. Not too much of a problem for me but I am looking to sell the unit & would prefer to fix it prior to the sale.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_2582.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
The fact that it does not appear in a screenshot suggests to me it is a problem with the screen itself. I have a similar issue on an old lcd (non-mac) monitor which i know i caused by improper cleaning. At any rate, I would doubt there is any fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina 13 Late 2012, iMac Late 2012, iPhone 6 64G, iPad Air 2 16G
The fact that it does not appear in a screenshot suggests to me it is a problem with the screen itself. I have a similar issue on an old lcd (non-mac) monitor which i know i caused by improper cleaning. At any rate, I would doubt there is any fix.

Unfortunately, this is a problem with the display itself and not the graphics card. It looks like you will need to get the display replaced in order for it to be fixed :(

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66ghz i5 27" 4gb
Thanks for the quick responses

C

chas_m

I'm confused. You removed the glass, but didn't see the shadow while the glass was off?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66ghz i5 27" 4gb
Hi chas_m,
Yes the shadow is still there with the glass removed. I have done further research & it appears that this could be dust on the back of the led display. There are videos on youtube showing how to remove the panel & fix the problem but I don't feel comfortable doing that so will have to live with it. It's not too noticeable most of the time.
Tks Pete

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately this was a problem with some 2009 iMacs. It seems the seal between the glass and display panel separates slightly. Then the iMac fans which draw air from below the screen to exhaust out from the top vents also draw in dust which then clings magnetically. Which is likely what's happened in your iMac. Apple at one time was repairing them for free but that is no longer the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.