iMac is sooooo slow!!

Reaction score
Recently my iMac has become extremely slow, takes more than a minute to "come to life" and then every operation just drags on! I've run Onyx to "clean it up" but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions please? Where should I be looking for the blockage?

C

chas_m

Sounds like the hard drive is going, without any more detailed information. Even if I'm wrong, I would strongly recommend getting the backups in order.

How much free space is on it?

OP
C
Reaction score
Sounds like the hard drive is going, without any more detailed information. Even if I'm wrong, I would strongly recommend getting the backups in order.

How much free space is on it?

Thanks for coming back so quick.

HD Size 499.25Gb - available 126.32Gb.
Running OS X 10.9.5
Processor 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3

I'm wondering whether to update OS to Yosemite?

I just ran the first aid disk utility - Verify disk and Repair Disk Permissions and all seems to be OK. I have a backup disc attached all the time so I presume TimeMachine will auto backup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What appears under Startup items and do you run Onyx over it from time to time? No AV or the dreaded Mackeeper etc installed??

And suggest not upgrading until you get this problem sorted as it will carry over and then you will have a 'bug' in Yosemite.

And your iMac will be better if you increase the memory to 8GB.

OP
C
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but where do I find the "startup items"? Yes I have just run Onyx and no I have never installed anything like Mackeeper.
Is it quite easy to put another 4Gb memory in?

C

chas_m

So far, I'm not hearing anything that would make me change my original guess. Sudden change in hard drive speed to become very unresponsive = sign of failing hard drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks harry2448. The only thing in the startup menu is my wife's iTunesHelper so don't think the problem is there??

I think an increase in memory will help but there is obviously some underlying issues causing the slowdown.

I understand that I can go up to a maximum of 16Gb DRAM - quite expensive - would another 4Gb make any noticeable difference?

I think I need to resolve the "slow" problem first? Just re run OnyX, everything came up as OK but still horribly SLOW!

About the best price I've found for 4Gb DRAM is £32.39 - sound about right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First up CC go into Recovery by rebooting and holding down Command R after the chime. Go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. That will report the state of your hard drive. Keep us posted?

OP
C
Reaction score
OK Harryb2448. Result of Repair Disk - The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. Volume repair complete. So all seems well there! I also ran Verify - again "The volume Macintiosh HD appears to be OK.

Capactiy - 499.5Gb
Available - 130.6Gb

See you're in Australia - my son lives in Perth, coming over for Christmas! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me Perth is like NYC to LA lol!

It takes half the time to fly to Auckland NZ than Perth West Aussie. 5,000kls is what - London to Rome?

Make sure he takes you to Rottnest Island. Also note your iMac can handler 32GB of memory so some ways to go. And here I find OWC the best, cheapest and fastest to deal with. Faster than local suppliers!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out! Looking at Crucial 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 512Meg x 64 at the moment but will open the computer and see what's in there already. Make sure things are compatible.

Um, interestingly enough I find 2 X 2Gb of Samsung memory in my iMac. Guess it is best to get another 2 X 2gb of the same to keep things compatible!
wv5zeu.jpg

and this is the memory I've bought X2 - I have to believe it's right!
2llki94.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes mate another 4GB at least. Personally would have given Samsung a miss but that is me. Is it 1333MHz which our iMacs use?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.