iMac- how to use Ethernet instead of wifi.

Reaction score
How do I use an Ethernet connection instead of wireless with my Airport and IMac and still have it available for wifi users?

Reaction score
Turn off your wifi in System Preferences.
Plug in an ethernet cable.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Or what I do, which is to have both the Ethernet cable plugged in and the WiFI enabled. Under System Preferences->Network, click on the gear drop-down on the left and choose Set Service Order and set your Ethernet to be higher than WiFi and that's what will be used if available..

The beauty of this is that I can disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet as I move the laptop around and don't have to worry about the WiFI connecting/disconnecting each time..

OP
R
Reaction score
Ethernet vs WIFI

Thanks. I will do that. Does the Eth cord plug into the Airport or the Modem. Am I correct in assuming that Ethernet is faster than WIFI.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac has a single Ethernet port on it. Airport is Apples name for their wireless card which doesn't take ANY cord. Ethernet is less prone to interference and thus less "lossy" than WiFi. However, running the latest WiFi standard you can achieve pretty nice numbers. Most new routers are Gigabit Ethernet and coupled with less "lossy" transmission, the overall performance of Ethernet is better..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks. I will do that. Does the Eth cord plug into the Airport or the Modem. Am I correct in assuming that Ethernet is faster than WIFI.

Just for clarification, I'm assuming that you have an AirPort Express or an AirPort Extreme router (or base station) - correct? Then the cable from your modem should plug into the routers WAN port (assume that it already is there); then run an ethernet cable from the AirPort device to the back of your iMac. Dave :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, too many Airports..:) The built-in wireless on the iMac is called Airport, as is the basic router (Airport Express) or its big brother (Airport Extreme Base Station)..

I wasn't answering in the context of WHAT the iMac is connecting to (router, cable modem, what have you) but only in the context of what the iMac supports..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Airport extreme wireless adapter, Airport express router, Airport extreme router..... I am just going to jump in my Time Capsule and go back to before my part-timers kicked in.....now if I could only remember what that date was..... :*

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
rgmguy using a 2012 iMac can see no difference using WiFi or ethernet cable tested via Speedtest. Maybe slower in WiFi if the computer is many, many metres from the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rgmguy using a 2012 iMac can see no difference using WiFi or ethernet cable tested via Speedtest. Maybe slower in WiFi if the computer is many, many metres from the router.

Good point Harry - not sure what the reason(s) are for Rgmguy to switch from wireless to a cabled connection? But, my iMac (spring 2013) is wired to my AirPort Extreme (802.11 n) and when I bring my MBPro on Wi-Fi next to the router, Speedtest shows the same DL speeds (about 20 Mbps on the average) - thus, the 'bottleneck' is my Time-Warner modem making the iMac no faster than my laptop. Just information for the OP - Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to all. My objective was to find the source of my slow early 09 IMac. I deleted old large files which helped and I'm planning to up from 2 to 6 or 8 GB based on your collective comments/advice.

Re: "cabled connection": I have the Comcast modem connected to my new Airport Time Capsule. The desktop, and assorted other OS and IOS devices are users via wifi. This config works but would connecting the desktop to the Time Capsule (or other config) improve the speed of the IMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you had provided that 2GB memory information earlier could have replied better. Poor thing is being throttled. Also how much free space is available on the hard drive and total capacity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all. My objective was to find the source of my slow early 09 IMac. I deleted old large files which helped and I'm planning to up from 2 to 6 or 8 GB based on your collective comments/advice.

Re: "cabled connection": I have the Comcast modem connected to my new Airport Time Capsule. The desktop, and assorted other OS and IOS devices are users via wifi. This config works but would connecting the desktop to the Time Capsule (or other config) improve the speed of the IMac?

If you had provided that 2GB memory information earlier could have replied better. Poor thing is being throttled. Also how much free space is available on the hard drive and total capacity?

@ Rgmguy - yep, would have helped from the beginning to know the specs on your computer; also, please provide which OS X is installed - if you have upgraded to one of the most recent operating systems, 2 GB of RAM is like driving your car w/ two holes in the floor for your feet to reach the ground; e.g. Apple claims that 2 GB is adequate to run Yosemite but twice that if not even 8 GB (which is on my MBPro) is recommended. SO, indeed, add more memory - OWC (Other World Computing) is a good source of purchasing more RAM.

In addition, concerning you cabled connection, the Comcast signal coming into your modem is likely going to be your 'bottleneck' (as explained in my post) for your internet speed - as a check, simply plug your iMac into ethernet and use Speed Test to check your DL/UL speeds, then bring your laptop on Wi-Fi next to the router and check its speeds - both will likely be similar and probably lower than you expect. My older generation AirPort Extreme router on 802.11n is transmitting a signal to my laptop (next to the router) of 240+ Mbps, although when I run a speed test, I'm still getting only 20 Mbps (now that is Time Warner's lousy cable service into my home). Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your imac was released with Leopard OS X.5 which is now pretty old. If you are still running Leopard, invest $20 for Snow Leopard OS X.6 from Apple Online and increase that memory from 2GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.