iMac G5 power supplies and warranty replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Hey all,

Just wanted to post a quick thread about my experiece just in case any of you have the same problem with your G5 iMac.

About a week ago I took my iMac out of sleep when I got home from work as I always do only to notice something very disheartening. I noticed a relatively quite but highly annoying buzzing noise coming from the lower right hand corner of the computer (down where the white LED pulsates when in sleep mode.) The noise would increase in intensity and frequency as the intensity of the light on the screen increased (like on white web pages or when I turned the brightness up.) Well I assumed this must be a problem with the power supply due to where the sound was coming from on the computer, and I was right. I called AppleCare this after noon and explained to them the problem. They had me adjust the brightness up and down to see if the noise would increase and decrease accordingly. The tech on the phone agreed that the sound was coming from tthe power supply. In fact, he said that a decent number of the 20" iMacs were having this problem. Long story short, AppleCare is sending out a new power supply to me tomorrow afternoon via DHL over night.

I couldn't be more happy with Apple's responce and solution to the situation. If any of you fellow G5 iMac owners are noticeing the noise I have described don't be shy. I would highly reccomend calling AppleCare ASAP and getting a replacement power supply. Man I'm glad I 'switched.' Apple is awesome.

-Chris

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my iMac from the very beginning. A high pitched whine just like you described. It is not very loud at all, but its at a pitch that just rakes on your nerves. I took mine back to the reseller where I bought it. They fixed me up with a new power supply and the noise is gone! It took a couple of weeks because it was backordered. It's been great ever since.

The tech told me that he has heard that there is a known problem with the power supplies. He also stated that if you have this problem it should be fixed right away. They have been known to burn out under this condition.

So far I have had great experiences with both Apple and their resellers.

OP
bassplayrr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
How long have you had your replacement unit? My iMac was only two months old when this noise began and I'm worried that this may happen again in another two months. :/ At least Apple provided exceptional customer support, and luckily the power supplies are no longer on back-order.

-Chris

Reaction score
I've had i back just about a month now. Really haven't thought about it being a problem again. I guess I figure if they knew they had problems, they addressed it with the replacements. I guess I am an optimist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.