iMac g4 800 HELP

Reaction score
So i got this imac off CL and i have some ?'s. First off, Safari is acting up.
Facebook will not display and when i go to youtube safari closes. no image will mount when i try to install new programs.

This is what im working with..

Mac OS x V 10.3.9
Build 7w98
Machine Model: iMac
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.5.0f4

Could i possibly load Load up leopard to fix these issues?

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Probably. Youtube will give your processor fits, unless you opt into the html 5 program.

C

chas_m

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

There ya go.

I would also strongly recommend ClickToFlash to control how much Flash you're trying to feed that old machine.

Don't even THINK about loading Leopard (or Tiger) on there until you have added a 1GB chip of RAM to the underside ("user-accessible") slot.

That's a lovely old machine, but the key word there is OLD. With enough RAM and an OS update, you should be able to do pretty well on it, but I'd start saving up for the next Mac, because once you've had a taste you're gonna want more.

OP
M
Reaction score
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

There ya go.

I would also strongly recommend ClickToFlash to control how much Flash you're trying to feed that old machine.

Don't even THINK about loading Leopard (or Tiger) on there until you have added a 1GB chip of RAM to the underside ("user-accessible") slot.

That's a lovely old machine, but the key word there is OLD. With enough RAM and an OS update, you should be able to do pretty well on it, but I'd start saving up for the next Mac, because once you've had a taste you're gonna want more.

Thanks but, safari still craps out when trying to access youtube. i wish i had the money for a newer mac, this one cost me 50 bucks so, i cant complain to much. is there a cetain brand of ram i should look for?

C

chas_m

Thanks but, safari still craps out when trying to access youtube. i wish i had the money for a newer mac, this one cost me 50 bucks so, i cant complain to much. is there a cetain brand of ram i should look for?

$50? Not bad at all!

That machine takes PC-133 144-pin, pretty standard as I recall, so pretty much anything you find should be good. People here often recommend Crucial or Kingston brands.

OP
M
Reaction score
$50? Not bad at all!

That machine takes PC-133 144-pin, pretty standard as I recall, so pretty much anything you find should be good. People here often recommend Crucial or Kingston brands.

Thanks. I only have one more question for now.. Is there a tutorial on how to get this machine ready for leopard.

OP
M
Reaction score
Will this do for ram?

-----------------------------------
Specifications:
Samsung 16 Chip Laptop Module
Module Size: 512MB
PC133 SDRAM
NON ECC
Unbuffered
144 pins
3.3 Volt
SIZE: 64Mx64=512MB
CHIP SIZE: 4x8Mx8=32Mx8
Low Density: 2 Banks of 32Mx8
SPEED: 133MHz
-----------------------------------

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.