Imac G4 700 boot problem

J

jmlcc

Maybe somebody can help me: I have a G4, 3 years old, OSX 10.3.5 which does not boot any more. Exactly, the boot takes place but finishes with the light blue screen, only the cursor is visible. No action possible neither with the keyboard, nor with the mouse. Apple service center claims that the mother board needs to be changed (hundreds of $ !!!) . Does anybody know something about this kind of failure? Is there a cheaper way to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
Z

zap2

if there is no way to fix it i say get a mini if the fixing part is over like 300ish

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
jmlcc said:
Maybe somebody can help me: I have a G4, 3 years old, OSX 10.3.5 which does not boot any more. Exactly, the boot takes place but finishes with the light blue screen, only the cursor is visible. No action possible neither with the keyboard, nor with the mouse. Apple service center claims that the mother board needs to be changed (hundreds of $ !!!) . Does anybody know something about this kind of failure? Is there a cheaper way to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have a Panther Install CD? If so I would try to archive and install and if that does not work, do a reinstall. If it still does not work there must be a hardware problem. I have seen that exact screen on other macs and it was an OS problem.

OP
J

jmlcc

Thanks a lot for the answers. Actually, it turned out that this probably a HD problem. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.