• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMac as Second Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Has anyone here ever though about buying a imac with some sort of problem and Modifying it so that you can connect it as a DVI to your other mac? Id like to look into it. Maybe a Mac with motherboard problems or Processor crap. I think that It can be done. I know that soldering and exterior mods would have to be done in order for it to work.
Anyone??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The built in mini-DVI connector on an iMac is for video OUT only, not in. So simply plugging it into another computer won't let you use it as a secondary monitor.

I'm sure there's a way to mod the iMac's screen to make it work as an external monitor, but would it really be worth the effort?

OP
Mjc.americor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that DVI is strictly output only.

I have a friend with a broken imac G5 and Im considering looking at the pdf repair manual to see what kind of plug the monitor has onto the motherboard etc... I am going to school for electrical engineering this fall and think that this might be a cool project for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
On the inside it's hooked up to the logic board via one of those small, thin ribbon cables. I'm no electrical engineer, so I have no clue whether or not that can be adapted to either a VGA or DVI connector.

OP
Mjc.americor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its probably 15 or 20 wires. I think that the end of a DVI is a 15-pin so I believe that it would be adaptable with a lot of work and long hours. Ill save it for a winter project as winters get pretty bad here in northern michigan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.