iMac as screen for a Pc

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use my screen iMac 27" medio 2011 as screen for a PC. My Mac has USB 2.0 , Thunderbolt and FireWire 800 ports. If so what ports is nessecary for the PC? Cables?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No, the iMac enters Target Display Mode and will only work with another Mac to be usable an external monitor. If your iMac is no longer functioning, then it's time to scrap it and move on.

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use my screen iMac 27" medio 2011 as screen for a PC.

Some iMacs can be used that way, but only with another Macintosh:

However, this product will allow you to do what you want to do:

Luna Display ($135)
allows you to use iMacs that otherwise can't be used as an external display as one.

Reaction score
I've been asked a bunch of times if an old iMac (outside of the range that can use Target Display Mode) can be used as a monitor for another computer. The conventional wisdom is that, no, it can't.

Then I stumbled upon this product:

ScreenRecycler

Using a combination of Ethernet and VNC, ScreenRecycler allows you to use an iMac as a *second* (NOT the primary, That is, it allows a two monitor setup.) monitor for your computer.

I was curious as to whether ScreenRecycler could be used to make an iMac be the primary monitor for another computer, so I wrote to the company and asked. According to Patrick Stein at ScreenRecycler, to set up an iMac to act as a primary display for a Mini: "you don't need ScreenRecycler for
that task, a VNC client would be all you need."

A VNC server is built into the Mac.

There are a bunch of VNC clients available for the Mac. Some of them are free.

I haven't tried this myself. If you try it, please report back.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Great info, Randy. IIRC I used Screen Recycler several years ago for a while. It worked reasonably well if you wanted to use a computer as a second monitor. The only issue I had was a certain amount of lag (I was either on an 802.11b or g network at the time).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While all interesting, the iMac should be used as a second display only in a pinch, not as on ongoing thing. Monitors are just too cheap these days to have to go through all these hoops.

Reaction score
Luna Display supports Windows (requires USB-C that supports Thunderbolt or DisplayPort, or HDMI port for the ‘Display Unit’). It will turn a Mac or iPad into an extended display. It will work over WiFi or Ethernet. With 2 macs you can connect via Thunderbolt, if the PC supports that I think you can use cable for that.

I have used this product for several years, it allows me to use my iMac at home as extended display for my work MacBook Pro (I also have an external monitor that hooks up as well). It has been well worth it for me as I’ve been working from home for last 2 years due to COVID concern.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.