iMac and the elderly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5 iMac
My 90 yo father has macular degeneration and would like to find a way to read the newspaper and his mail on his 27" iMac WITHOUT having to import or create a file and open it. Is there some hardware and software that he can simply either hold a camera over it, or a wand that he can scan it directly onto his screen? At 90, he's completely computer illiterate, and with bad eyesight, forget about him using the menu bar.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you go to:

- Apple drop down menu
- System Preferences
- Then Universal Access or Accessibly (what it's called depends on the OS version installed)

Within Universal Access or Accessibly…there are some settings that can be made to improve the computing experience from a visual perspective. Give then a try to see if it helps.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Using a digital scanner would probably be just as difficult for your father to use and maybe more so than trying to read the on screen menus. And I don't know of anything that would directly import from the device to the computer screen without involving some manipulation and software menus.

Perhaps you can get some ideas from places that provide help to folks who are vision impaired. My wife and I volunteer at several nursing homes where we deal with folks who suffer from various stages of macular degeneration. Some are almost completely blind while others have some vision remaining. We try to provide them with large dark (bolded) printed material which helps but for some it doesn't.

Anyway, I hope you can find something that will help your father. I believe an agency which deals with the vision impaired may be your best shot for ideas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My 90 yo father has macular degeneration and would like to find a way to read the newspaper and his mail on his 27" iMac WITHOUT having to import or create a file and open it. Is there some hardware and software that he can simply either hold a camera over it, or a wand that he can scan it directly onto his screen? At 90, he's completely computer illiterate, and with bad eyesight, forget about him using the menu bar.

Sorry…I think that I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant online/internet newspapers (versus physical newspapers)…and email vs. "snail-mail".

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.