Imac 27 Inch Humming Noise

Reaction score
Hi,

very keen to hear if anyone else has experienced a humming noise from their Imac. Its not that loud more annoying when you are listening to it all day. I left it in with Apple to see if they could do anything. They said it must be normal!

I dont believe a product at this price should be like this so it would be a great help if anyone else would let me know of any similar experiences. Its a low frequency drone probably power supply transformer or possibly screen.

Brand new Imac only 4 months old.

Many thanks,

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably coming from the display. I don't own an iMac 27" but my ears are sensitive to high pitch and low pitch sounds coming from electronic equipment. After having been a computer and electronic tech for many years, it's something I notice right away.

Anyway, I can hear the same sound coming from the large Samsung monitor I have hooked up to my MacBook. It's annoying when the room is quiet but I've gotten used to it to where it doesn't bother me as much.

The power supply in your iMac is not a switching type supply so it should be quiet. That 27" display generates some heat and since its backlighted with a large array of LEDs, it's probably emitting the noise you're hearing. Not much you can do to quiet it down.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I never hear a sound from my 27" iMac. Not the HDD, not the fans, nothing. The only time I do hear anything is when I first insert a CD or DVD, I hear the Superdrive come on and load the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Had mine for a few months and it did it for the first time last night. I shut it off and it still made the noise so I unplugged it and it went away but as soon as I plugged it back in(with the power turned off) it made the noise again. So I left it off over night and turned it on this morning and there was no noise. But I haven't been home all but I am wondering what will be wrong with it tonight. (This is my 3rd one because the first 2 had the screen flicker issue)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.