iMac 2017 4K Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi guys I have the above iMac

and im trying to figure out where there is a short on a logic board / motherboard.

I have narrowed the area down to the highlighted sections in the attached photo's but I have no idea where to start or what to remove first to try and see if the fault goes ?

there is a short on all the caps in the area both sides of them

thanks for any ideas or help.

Attachments

• IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6380.jpeg
    IMG_6380.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of luck with that! Not only does that require micro soldering and removal, but who knows what else has been damaged. (Not counting the damage you may incur trying to remove and replace.)

Might be easier and less expensive in the long haul to replace the entire logic board.

OP
jasongoldworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
Lots of luck with that! Not only does that require micro soldering and removal, but who knows what else has been damaged. (Not counting the damage you may incur trying to remove and replace.)

Might be easier and less expensive in the long haul to replace the entire logic board.
thanks the only problem is im not sure the final cost on a logic board is worth it.

as its almost £400 for a used one.

im finding loads of caps shorted both sides so it may be just wise to dispose of it and call it a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.