iMac 20" A1224 dark screen with 9 beeps

Reaction score
I have gone through the previous messages about this issue:
3 short+3 longer+3 short beeps means EFI ROM checksum failed. I downloaded and created Firmware restoration CD 1.6 for iMac7,1 from Apple support.
Turned power on and iMac sucked in the CD and ejected after 1 minute and started beeping cycles again.
Questions:
1. I burned the CD on Windows with PowerISO. Should I try burn the CD on Mac instead?
2. It seem doing something with the CD. Or it's hardware issues with the ROM or board that firmware refresh won't fix?

Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You can also use a USB device (flash drive, thumb drive, etc) to reset or restore firmware. Otherwise, you can use Disk Utility to burn the CD on your Mac. Or, download the free "Burn" application and use that to burn the iso.

Reaction score
I have gone through the previous messages about this issue:
3 short+3 longer+3 short beeps means EFI ROM checksum failed. I downloaded and created Firmware restoration CD 1.6 for iMac7,1 from Apple support.
Turned power on and iMac sucked in the CD and ejected after 1 minute and started beeping cycles again.
Questions:
1. I burned the CD on Windows with PowerISO. Should I try burn the CD on Mac instead?
2. It seem doing something with the CD. Or it's hardware issues with the ROM or board that firmware refresh won't fix?

Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

Hi! I have the same problem. I try to find Restoration CD 1.6, but on an Apple's website, the link is dead. Dropped the entire internet in search of a disc! I've been looking for three weeks! Maybe you still have an image of this disk?

Reaction score
Hi! I have the same problem. I try to find Restoration CD 1.6, but on an Apple's website, the link is dead. Dropped the entire internet in search of a disc! I've been looking for three weeks! Maybe you still have an image of this disk?

Hey - I am having the same issue, did you ever find the download for this 1.6 file? I have also been looking online and am surprised that the download pages on Apple's own site are dead.

TIA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey - I am having the same issue, did you ever find the download for this 1.6 file? I have also been looking online and am surprised that the download pages on Apple's own site are dead

Welcome to our forums.

That's because that particular CD was replaced by this one:

Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

That's because that particular CD was replaced by this one:

Are you sure? from reading the support materials the firmware CD versions are specific to different Mac Models. Version 1.9 of the CD is only for use on the MacPro5,1. The version I am looking for is version 1.6 as it specifies support with the iMac 7,1.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's either that or nothing. The Firmware Restoration CD 1.6 was issued back in 2008 and is no longer available from Apple.

You might be able to find one on eBay. Give that a try if version 1.9 does not work for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.