iMac 1.6 vs 1.8 version

C

code777

i may get a fellow co-worker to switch as he is looking at the iMacs. He said he doesn't want to spend tons but is looking at the 1.6 vs 1.8. He said he doesn't need a superdrive but likes a fast computer.

Comparing the two models he automatically likes what he sees with the 1.8 as it has a faster FSB and processor. But when I asked him what he will be doing with it he just said "general use" which = Lots of Surfin', iChat, Word/Excel, iTunes, watching DVDs, iPhoto, and **iMovieHD maybe**.

From what he told me I told him my 1.6 w/768 runs fine as I do all of the above (set at "highest" in the energy saver panel). But he is curious if he would see a MAJOR difference in processing speed doing the above tasks with STOCK 256. I say NO.

He then said if he buys the 1.6 version he would try to get 1GB RAM in there and i said, i think you'd be golden.

Can you see any major differences between the two if say the 1.6 had 1GB RAM vs 1.8 with 256MB RAM i would think so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
code777 said:
i may get a fellow co-worker to switch as he is looking at the iMacs. He said he doesn't want to spend tons but is looking at the 1.6 vs 1.8. He said he doesn't need a superdrive but likes a fast computer.

Comparing the two models he automatically likes what he sees with the 1.8 as it has a faster FSB and processor. But when I asked him what he will be doing with it he just said "general use" which = Lots of Surfin', iChat, Word/Excel, iTunes, watching DVDs, iPhoto, and **iMovieHD maybe**.

From what he told me I told him my 1.6 w/768 runs fine as I do all of the above (set at "highest" in the energy saver panel). But he is curious if he would see a MAJOR difference in processing speed doing the above tasks with STOCK 256. I say NO.

He then said if he buys the 1.6 version he would try to get 1GB RAM in there and i said, i think you'd be golden.

Can you see any major differences between the two if say the 1.6 had 1GB RAM vs 1.8 with 256MB RAM i would think so...
a 1.6 with a gig of ram will way out perform a 1.8 and 256 mb ram.
though if they had the same amounts of ram, you wouldn't notice much, if any difference in performance, Id suggest the 1.6 and a gig of ram.
and if hes good atr hardware, perhaps he can overclockj his imac and get a faster than 1.8 imac.

OP
P

Prometheus

I'd go for the gig of ram and then the fastest processor he could afford, which by the sounds of things would be 1.6GHz and 1GB Ram.

OP
C

code777

that's what i thought, he said has no use for a superdrive and would rather spend the extra money on 1GB of RAM rather then pay an extra $200 for the 1.8 and then shell out more for 1GB of RAM...

Thanks, i'll relay the msg to him.

OP
D

DCyamaha

tell him to order the 512 from apple ($67.00 with the education discount) and then buy aother 512 from www.crucial.com for about $70.00

thats what I plan on doing.

OP
C

code777

what about "matching" RAM? Like i keep hearing people say that you should try to "match" but others say it does not matter...

also how can I monitor how much RAM my iMac is using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac hd>applications>utilities>activity monitor, as far as matching ram, macs can be picky, but try to stay in the same brand if possible, or at least the same speed and ram type, like pc 2700 or whatever the imac uses.

OP
C

code777

not to be dum but what part of the "pie" should i be concerned with.

so if I have PNY PC3200 DDR400 512MB and i want to upgrade my own iMac shall i pull the "stock" 256 and stick in another 512MB that I just got (PNY) so that they are matched?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it doesnt have to be pny, but if it is, you can be sure its less likely to cause any problems, unless you get bad ram, which can be replaced anyway.

OP
C

code777

i'm thinking of upping my RAM. Currently have 768 (the stock 256 added a 512). Will I see signifigant speed if I up my total RAM to 1GB from 768 (two 512's). OR shall I just bite the bullet and purchase a 1GB stick for a total of 1.5GB of RAM.

A few people say there won't be any difference in 768 to 1GB but having 1.5GB I will see a speed bump in performance...

OP
C

code777

someone told me right now Best Buy has more PNY 512 RAM on sale for $55 after MIB so...

Reaction score
The only time that you will see a speed bump with more ram is if your computer hasn't got enough and then starts using the harddrive as virtual ram as this is slow.

Try getting a program like menu meters and setting it up so that the used and free space memory is shown in the menu bar and keep an eye on how much ram you are using. If the free ram gets low then get some more.

I got matching ram for my imac but I read different reports about weather this gives a speed boost or not. Some sites said that it didn't make any difference with their benchmark tests and others said it did. I just took the stock ram out and replaced it with a set of kingston 512mb sticks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.