I'm stumped!

M

m1k

Hey guys,

I've decided to get an iPod. I'm trying to decide between the iPod mini and the regular iPod. I currently have about 800MB of music, but that will grow quite a bit. I'm sort of drifting towards the iPod mini because I don't really need more than 1000 songs with me at any given time :p . But I might in the future... Also is the regular iPod more scratchy than the mini? I've read that you need a case for it or else it gets really scratched, whereas this doesn't happen with a mini.

Thanks guys,
m1k

OP
C

ChicoWeb

When I first got mine I had no idea I would ever have 27 gigs on it :p If I were you I'd prepare :)

OP
M

m1k

OK, I'll probably go for the 20gig one I guess. But are the regular iPods any harder to keep clean? Do you have to buy a case for them or anything? I heard they get fingerprints on them way easier than the mini.

Also, I might not have as much since I listen to Blues and Jazz and stuff. Since they're less popular, I get CD's less often.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :)

OP
E

elums

m1k said:
OK, I'll probably go for the 20gig one I guess. But are the regular iPods any harder to keep clean? Do you have to buy a case for them or anything? I heard they get fingerprints on them way easier than the mini.

I have a 20gb iPod and would have to say it can sratch pretty easliy without a case, They also pick up finger prints, but you can just clean those off. If you want your iPod to always look new and be clean, I would get a case for it. Hope this helps.

OP
M

m1k

OK, thanks.

I'm still not sure if I should get the mini though.... It apparently doesn't scratch at all, and I'm only at 700MB now, and since I listen to old-school stuff I don't get new CDs very often... 4gigs seems like a lot, but then again I may get obsessed with rock or something and be wishing I got a 20gig...

AUGGHH!!!! I can't decide!

OP
O

Orange

m1k said:
OK, thanks.

I'm still not sure if I should get the mini though.... It apparently doesn't scratch at all, and I'm only at 700MB now, and since I listen to old-school stuff I don't get new CDs very often... 4gigs seems like a lot, but then again I may get obsessed with rock or something and be wishing I got a 20gig...

AUGGHH!!!! I can't decide!

Get both... or in fact get 2 of each, that way if one of em gets scratched you have a back up.

OP
M

m1k

Whoa... I'm only in grade 9, it's for my birthday. I don't think I could ask for both :( Thanks anyways.

OP
M

MoltenLava

If you want your iPod as a backup of ALL your songs, get 20GB, 30GB or larger one.

If you want your iPod as music player, then iPod mini will be better.

I have mini, and 4GB of space is sufficient for me. I ripped all my songs in 192kbps, so I can fit about 400 songs in my mini. I don't need more, because my listening habit will change.

People who own classic iPod with 20GB or more of space usually fall into three categories.

1. They have 20GB or space, but it's mostly empty. They end up using a couple of GB only.
2. They ripped all their CD collection and stored in the iPod. But when they listen to music, they'd browse to their favorite singer/group and listen to the favorite songs only.
3. They ripped all their CD collection and stored in the iPod. They use random mode so that you can utilize ALL the songs in the iPod. But they end up doing fast forward to skip the songs they don't want, and listen to the ones they like.

I'm sure that there are people who'd enjoy all 40GB of their music collection. But the majority of people would listen to only a few hundreds of songs at a time. That's why there is a market for mini. Plus mini is much more compact than the classic iPod.

OP
M

m1k

OK MoltenLava, that's what I was thinking. I definitely won't be able to listen to all 1000 songs on my mini in one session, let alone 10 000 on an iPod senior. So I'll probably get the mini.

Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate the advice you had. I'm going for the mini!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Get the mini...

If you plan on using your iPod as your ONLY source of music (mobile and at home) then the iPod is the way to go.

If you want a modern replacement for your discman, i.e. only for mobile use, changing and erasing songs almost daily - get the mini..

I keep all my music on my iPod, and it's also my only source device at home..
I have an old skool 2nd gen. 10GB one though, so my collection won't quite fit any more :(

If anyone wants to donate a 20 GB one, contact me :)

OP
M

MoltenLava

Aptmunich, how is iPod the only source of music at home? You have the computer with all the songs stored in it, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh yeah sure, I've got all my music on my 'book, but if I just want to listen to some 'tunes, I prefer to just use the iPod...

Or if I'm throwing a party with some friends, I just set up a playlist and run that off the iPod.

Not that it would be much difference if I ran them through the iBook, but I normally put that away when guests are round.

By 'only source' I meant only traditional like player. (i.e. no cd player, nor cassette deck etc.)

Btw how many here still use cd's (other than for ripping)?

OP
M

m1k

Get the mini...

If you plan on using your iPod as your ONLY source of music (mobile and at home) then the iPod is the way to go.

If you want a modern replacement for your discman, i.e. only for mobile use, changing and erasing songs almost daily - get the mini..

I keep all my music on my iPod, and it's also my only source device at home..
I have an old skool 2nd gen. 10GB one though, so my collection won't quite fit any more

If anyone wants to donate a 20 GB one, contact me

OK, thanks. I have a bitchin' PowerBook G4 with a 60gig hard drive, that's where I often listen to music at night and stuff. I basically want a walkman replacement for around town and stuff. So I should probably go for the mini. Now the only problem is what color ;)

I've got all my music on my 'book, but if I just want to listen to some 'tunes

Ahh, I see you don't like Apple's i abbreciations ('book, 'tunes)...

Anyways, thanks everybody, I'm going for the mini!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.