I'm sorry I teased Mac users. "Eating crow, and the many ways its served"

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
We used to tease the **** out of the only mac user we knew, we used to kid her about her toy computer, and do cheap pranks like sticking a kleenex out the top of her G4 Cube.

In the end I agreed to apoligise most sincerely if she promised not to gloat. Thankfully she has kept her word.

So, how many people really feel stupid about having been a PC jerk? I know I do.

How many people here have had to sit down to a big plate of smarmy "I told you so?" from the longtime Mac users in your circle? Thankfully mine is just happy I smartened up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
yeah, a year ago i was sitting in a speech listening to a guy talk about mac and give a presentation on it. told him that mac sucked and the only reason it did not get viruses was due to its low market.

and this is typed from my macbook.

*hangs head in shame*

edit:

haha! i see you are from my neck of the woods!

where at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Back in my misspent youth (?) when I was a young engineer cranking away in unix at my trusty command line, and only managers and secretaries at our company were *forced* to use Macs, I used to call them "Macintrashes".

*also hangs head in shame*

Now that I am an advocate for Macs, my brother (who remembers my Macintrash comments well) never lets me forget this... this is the same brother who recently bought a brand new quad core PC, which he purposely ordered equipped with Vista, and can't get *anything* working except blue screens of death (which work REMARKABLY reliably)! I keep telling him he should have got a Mac and he keeps reminding me that I used to call them Macintrashes. Sigh...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've never trash talked about Macs. In fact, I've wanted one since the days of the Titanium Powerbooks, but could never get around to scraping together enough cash to buy one. Fortunately for me, the time I DID have enough money, Intel Macs were in, getting rid of all my reservations about there not being enough Mac software :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
I never did the trash talking thing about Macs. First comp I used was at school in like the 4th grade to play Oregon trail. I've always marveled at the Macs, whether it was the Os or just how beautiful a design they are...ect... Just never had the money for em. Now that I do I will be getting my Macbook within the next couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
society in general talk trash about things they don't understand.. what makes a mac any different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I *love* the animated Spiderman in your siggy KoDorSean - truly eye catching!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, I was never really a taunting type person as such, but I always did think that Apple's hardware was entirely too high priced for what it was. I came from a UNIX workstation background originally, with Windows being a necessary evil. When it matured somewhat Linux was my choice of computer for doing everything both at work and at home, with a separate Windows machine do do those things which absolutely required Windows.

Macs weren't really on the choice list because they were still in the OS 8 and 9 era and those had been getting a little long in the tooth. This, I feel, gave them a bit of a bad reputation since it was essentially the same OS that I used on a Mac 128K back in the mid 80s. Didn't find anything compelling about it then (and the high prices didn't help) so why would I feel compelled to buy one later? About the time Mac OS X came out with its initial versions, my employer got a 'lampshade iMac' for testing. It was then that I discovered that Mac OS X was actually an evolution of NeXTStep, which was a decent UNIX. I played around a little with it, thought it was kind of cool, but still figured that the price of the hardware was still too high and Windows/Linux was 'good enough' to do what I needed to do the way I wanted to do it. I soldiered on with employer supplied Windows machines, and built-it-myself Linux computers for my own needs. When I got my wife a computer, she got a built-by-me computer running Windows XP.

Then two years ago Apple did something very very smart. They introduced the Mac Mini at a price point that would make it very attractive to give them a try. It was a time when I was getting ready to upgrade anyway, and coincided with our tax refund. So I took the plunge and decided to perform the Great Experiment to see if I could replace all that I do with a Mac for my personal computing needs.

Six months later my wife got tired of her XP computer locking up on her (which might be somewhat attributable to the parts I chose to build it) and just general Windows annoyances. We discussed it, and decided to go on to the Great Experiment Phase II and got her a second generation Mac Mini as well. Copied all her data over, installed Photoshop (she's artistically inclined and that's the sort of thing she uses computers for in addition to the web/email/word processing standard stuff), showed her around and and let her loose on it. After two weeks I checked with her and the verdict was that I had nothing to worry about. She was very comfortable with everything she needed to do with Mac OS, and found it highly intuitive with NONE of the annoyances that Windows provided.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year. Upgrade time, and now we are sporting a couple of Intel Macbooks; one white (me) and the other black (her). This experiment is a resounding success. I have Parallels installed on my Macbook if I need to do any Windows type things (which I only need to do if I am somewhere with my Macbook, didn't feel like lugging the employer supplied Dell, and need to check in with the office remotely with all the Windows apps they use) but for the most part everything is handled by all the Mac applications. My wife doesn't give a flying rat's behind about anything Windows and couldn't be happier. She's in the hospital right now and her Macbook provides for her a means to watch movies, keep up on our finances, keep up on current events over the web, and communicate with me both with iChat text and video conferencing with our iSight cameras. After giving a demo of our fine notebook computers to her brother, he immediately ordered one shipped overnight. He dang near ambushed the FedEx guy when it came. A week later he is utterly pleased with his purchase, and has discovered that with GarageBand (he's a musician) he'll "never need to pick up another musical instrument again", though he did get a patch cord so he can record directly from his guitar to his Macbook. His boss at work is waiting for delivery on his new Macbook. We've convinced at least two of the hospital staff to buy Macs in some form as well.

Overall, Apple has come quite a long way. It seems to me at this point it's only stubbornness and ignorance that keeps people from switching to a Mac. Windows is quite entrenched and human nature is such that they don't like to change. Slowly, however, with the decisions Apple have made recently I can see many more Mac users joining the ranks.

The Kleenex atop the G4 Cube was pretty funny though!

Reaction score
I always thought Macs were OK, the first Mac that fell into my hands was a beige-colored Performa with a gigantic CRT Monitor at school. When I was 12, I saw the first gumdrop iMac and I've liked Macs ever since. I DIDN'T like that they ran Internet Explorer, and I ran Mozilla from the early days of 0.5 .

I finally decided to switch after my PC started giving me more and more headaches, and after I saw MacWorld Paris Expo 2004 (iMac G5 release).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I never ripped on Macs, but I do remember saying, "What is the difference between a Mac and a PC? They both look like computers to me. Isn't a Mac technically a Personal Computer anyway?" This was long before I even knew what an Operating System was though. I just thought Macs were a brand of Windows computer.

OP
T

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
I've eaten crow before... In a stew. It was nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I have never really trash talked Macs even though I have been a Windows user since 3.1, then going to 3.11, 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP...that is scary looking back at it. Guess I thought that was the best there was and Macs were too expensive.

The iPod changed my mind. Even though my first iPod cost me £400 (3rd Gen the one with the 4 buttons above the click-wheel 30GB) I became hooked on Apple products. Still the Mac was too expensive and impractical, but after the Intel transition I switched straight away.

Bringing Steve Jobs back was definitely the smartest thing Apple has ever done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
it's ok. (((hugs)))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder how many of us mirror slashjunior's experience. I was a Windows user for a long, long time, all the way back to DOS 5.0/Windows 3.1. Per the above, I didn't really think that Macs were as good and also felt that they were too expensive. Eventually I got really, really sick of Windows, and of Microsoft's predatory business practices and switched to Linux. I used Linux for all my day to day computing, and Windows for iTunes and Photoshop (because there just isn't a Linux port for them). I was more or less content.

Then my wife got an iPod. Who would want such a thing, I thought? Then I saw all the great flexibility it gave her and I got one too. A Nano first. I quickly exhausted it's capacity and moved up to a 5G video iPod. Somewhere in there, impressed all to heck with the quality and general experience of the iPod, I decided to give Macs a try.

Without the iPod experience, I probably would never have even thought about Macs. How many others have been drawn to try out Macs based on the iPod "halo effect" I wonder?

OP
T

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without the iPod experience, I probably would never have even thought about Macs. How many others have been drawn to try out Macs based on the iPod "halo effect" I wonder?

It was a combination of using linux and having an ipod that got me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
No, never trash talked about them.

I was a Windows user since the beginning, going back to my DOS experiances when I was three. I got my first computer when I was 6, a hand-me-down no name computer with Windows 95 in 1999.

Used that til 2002, when I got another Windows 95 computer, which lasted about a month. (Don't know what happened.) I then got a brand new HP 2.4 GHz computer with XP. (A HUGE jump from Windows 95 and 200 MHz.)

Of course, in between all this, I had used 98, 98SE, and ME, but I didn't own them.

About a year after my new computer, I started collecting. I now have computer's with DOS, 3.1, 95, 98SE, 2000 and XP which I PERSONNALY own. (Trying to sell them; paying off my "new" iBook G3) If I had to guess, I would say I've spent about $2500 on computers (admititly, $1800 of which my parents paid for)

That was Windows. Now on to Macs.

We had always used Macs in my elementary school. Ever since the IIe, it was always Apple's.

We had got brand new Bondi iMac G3's, and I fell in love with them. The colors and stuff...just how different OS 8 was from Windows 95, you know? (We eventually were pulled in by lower prices, and got PC's, but those iMac's were memorable)

Just to give you an idea, here are some of the macs I can recall seeing in classrooms and in storage in that school:

iMac G3's
Power Mac G3 AIO's.
Power Mac AIO's (like this one, but there were many different number models we had; we have 250 of these in storage, with about 25 still being used.)
Mac LC's, I's, II's and III's.
Apple II c's
Apple IIe+
Apple IIe's.

My first Mac I owned was a Mac Classic Bought used in 2003 for $35. Just to say I had it. Then I bought a Bondi iMac 233 G3 for $90. (Like the schools) I used it as a backup when my XP was in for repair (One more reason for macs..)

But what really got me wanting a new mac, was the iPod 4G I had recieved for Christmas in 2004.Then my 1G Shuffle. From then on, I knew I wanted a new Mac.

Which brings me to my 1.83 GHz Mini today.

This is not even a quarter of my computing history (There were many periods of time when I used my iMac as main computer, 95 as secondary, etc.) But you're bored to death already, I'm sure.( If you have even read this entire thing; If you have give yourself a pat on the back for enduring my ramblings.)

I had fun writing this, but I'm sure you haven't had fun reading it. ;)

Reaction score
Yes, always been a PC user and builder os sytems to with my son. I did a computer course in 1998 mostly on Macs and the Power Mac they used were slow and lumbering and the OS, 8 I think was dreadful si I stayed with Pcs

Now, I have tried a Vista Beta and don't like it. I hate the Windows Genuine Advantage that puts a genuine user through hoops to have an uptodate machine.

So, I am ready for the Great experiment mentioned by someone earlier in the thread. I have a G4 AGP machine,a bit slow, and I am going to pop OS X on and see how it goes. If what I hear is right, then I'll move on ton a Mac Mini which ought to do everything I need except some gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
About a year after my new computer, I started collecting. I now have computer's with DOS, 3.1, 95, 98SE, 2000 and XP which I PERSONNALY own. (Trying to sell them; paying off my "new" iBook G3)

That is very impressive. I admit I have an old BBC computer sitting up in the roof, takes 5 inch floppy's and plays games like Plod, also an old Snakes and Ladders game which was my fathers machine. I may still have an old laptop somewhere that has Windows 3.11. I will admit I am a hoarder of things, but I think that is a general male thing :D

How technology has improved over the years, especially the internet from when I first started using it in about 1993. 28k dial-up modems, how did we ever cope?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.