I'm not trying to be weird Re: ichat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 iMac
I'm not trying to be weird Re: ichat *FIXED*

A friend of mine, the one who brought me to Mac, had me set up a AIM account for chatting. Well, he just got a new iMac too and when we try to chat with eachother it says that it failed or something. Is it on my end or his? If somebody isn't busy, not trying to be weird here, but could somebody try to talk to me? He (over the phone) walked me through countless settings and it still wouldn't work. If you are bored and would love to try and help me, let me know what time (& time zone) works for you and I'll be there, within reason.

If I'm totally out of line with the whole chat thing, could somebody tell me if there is a common mistake that I possibly made?

Thank you for any and all help, you all are so nice to answer questions from all these newbies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi again.

For starters this link should be help you out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515

That tells you exactly how to set up a video chat between two people in ichat. Using AIM I believe. The same thing you've set up.

And if that doesn't help you exactly could you please share exactly what part is bugging you so one of us could help the exact point you have.

OP
yazbelle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 iMac
I have read it all and done it all. Thank you for the link.
When we tried to contact each other, we could always type to each other, but screen sharing and video wouldn't work. He is my only buddy, and he is not online right now, so I can't tell you exactly what the message said. His wife is my BFF and she lives far away. I want to chat with her so we can pretend we're hanging out. Dorky, I know. But, i love her!

I would click on his name and then the camera. Then it would say "trying to contact him" or something like that. Then, a few seconds later, it would say unable to establish a connection. The same thing happened with screen sharing. I would accept him to share my screen and it would go back to unable to establish a connection, or something like that.

I feel like such an idiot. Hopefully once I get ichat and images figured out, I can share the love and help others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I'm assuming your iSight is working without any problems (Photobooth works fine etc?) I'd love to try to help & set up a chat with you, but I'm at work. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Do you and he both have some sort of a web camera attached to your computers? Be it inbuilt like the latest imacs or external? And according to the article it says the camera if external has to be a firewire one. USB (only) web cameras are no good.

And I believe screen sharing is only available on the latest system. Leopard. Which you have. He needs to have that also.

Also this link might prove helpful.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1507?viewlocale=en_US

I don't really use ichat all that much. But I'll try to help as much as I can.

[edit] check out this other thread in the forum.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122305

It seems others can not get the screen sharing aspect from ichat to work either.

OP
yazbelle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 iMac
Yes, photobooth works.
We both have leopard.
we both have a built in camera.
We both have the same computer.

I'll read the articles. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Yes, photobooth works.
We both have leopard.
we both have a built in camera.
We both have the same computer.

I'll read the articles. Thanks!!

i've had some difficulty using ichat just to video chat. For some reason, whenever I try to request video chat it is unable to connect. Only when the other person requests' the video chat does it work. They are using a dell laptop with windows xp and an external webcam.

Doesn't really help you guys since you both have the same setup :[

So you are able to chat back and forth but video and screen sharing doesn't work, correct?

OP
yazbelle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 iMac
Yes.
A generous user offered to help me later.
I'll keep ya posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hopefully they can get it working for you.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53ghz MBP
it might have something to do with the firewall on your router, i had the same problem and i went to whatismyip.com and i put my ip in the address bar you put in your name and password and since i have a linksys i went to security and unchecked the Block Anonymous Internet Requests

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Her screen sharing and voice work on iChat. I just tested them with her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
If those work, then it's a problem with either the receiver's or the senders camera. Audio seems to work fine then I'm assuming therefore I'd start looking for support regarding the camera.

OP
yazbelle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 iMac
It's all good y'all! Baggss was generous enough to help me. Other people offered as well-thanks!
It was funny chatting with somebody I don't really know.
I acted like a big dork, because I am a big dork. I just couldn't stop giggling b/c I was so freakin' happy that it worked!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.