I'm looking for a program that will capture screen activity and turn it into a video

Reaction score
Hey all, I think the subject pretty much says it all! I'm looking for a program that will record screen activity and make a video (with audio from the running applications!) out of it. It would be doubly cool if I could select the region of the screen to encode but that's not mandatory. Something that could do 2-3 hours in a stint would be ideal.

Any advice is much appreciated!

-Aaron

M

MacHeadCase

Snapz Pro X, although nothing about audio is mentioned and I haven't tried it so can't tell you how it works. It has always got some great reviews, that I do know.

There is also iShowU which got a 4 out 5 star rating at MacUpdate. This one does seem to capture audio as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Second vote for screen mimic. Seems to give the best frame rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I've always wondered how did guys put their screend videos online..LOL.

I knew there should be some programs like this hehehe

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey again,

Many thanks for the replies. I tried iShowU on my PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz 1.25GB) and it clearly overtaxed my system. Screen Mimic worked wonderfully but I can't figure out how to record system audio rather than mic or line-in! I'll keep at it and report back here.

Thanks once again.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well it seems that my PowerBook can't handle IShowU and the Java application that I'm trying to encode as video. It works pretty well for making videos of normal (i.e. non-resource hogging) applications, however.

I'll give it another go tonight on my iMac Core 2 Duo. Fingers crossed...

M

MacHeadCase

DW this might help? iShowU features:

Choose your video format - If it's supported by quicktime, it's supported by iShowU. Realtime H.264 compression struggling a bit on the G4? Use Apple Anumation. iShowU lets you choose what works for you.

Links on the webpage I link you to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I will vote for Snaps Pro X. It's great. And it can record whatever part of the screen you choose with or without sound. The only drawback is the restlying file is rather large at the end. So a video converting app is nice to convert the file to something a little smaller. But over all it's a breeze to use.

Reaction score
Hey Mac brothers...

Great suggestions...I was wondering if there was a program like podtube but that would work for other on screen capturing...Grrrrreat!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.