I'm frustrated...

T

TheMonkeyProjec

So I love my mac thus far (20" intel imac), but i'm running into a problem that's frustrating me like crazy. On my old windows pc, we had one folder which had a few other folders inside of it (movies, music, tv shows, etc.).

All of our downloads went to one folder,(no matter what user acct. was in use) which we then sorted, and could be played, burnt, whatever. In other words, we had a media folder that was in no way tied to either user account, but both acct.'s had full access to, and i can't seem to accomplis the same thing on my mac. I'm sure that once i'm told how to do it, i'll kick myself for not figuring it out on my own, as with everything else on the mac so far.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Open Finder, go to Macintosh HD, Users folder, Shared. The Shared folder can be seen by everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
on a mac, its called a Shared folder....you can get to it by going to macintosh HD->Users->Shared.......it can be accessed by anyone on that computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
woa we posted that at the same time! sorry if it seems redundant, but i swear his post wasnt there when i started typing the reply!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
He beat you by a whisker, narf1899! lol

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

that's what i've been doing...but it's only working to a certain extent...some of the folders in the shared folder i still don't have access to...and does it matter who the "owner" is? or should it be "system"?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
that's what i've been doing...but it's only working to a certain extent...some of the folders in the shared folder i still don't have access to...and does it matter who the "owner" is? or should it be "system"?

It doesn't matter who the owner is but for others to access the files you need to do one of two things:

1) If security is not an issue make the files have Others=>Read and Write access.

2) Create a group, assign both users to the group, give all files to be shared Group=>Read and Write for the group name. (for this lot you will find it easier to use terminal)

I would suggest you get hold of a unix book, file system permissions are one of the most powerful unix concepts but can be tricky to set up properly.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Thanks Amen....Amen thanks.....it was something I had wondered about but hadn't got round to finding out as yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
on a mac, its called a Shared folder....you can get to it by going to macintosh HD->Users->Shared.......it can be accessed by anyone on that computer

At least you gave the same advice - I'm always nervous of getting it wrong and looking like an idiot.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

Thanks a lot for all the help everyone...i think i've got it figured out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.