iKlear vs. Wal-Mart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15' 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, 3GB RAM, 200GB HDD
Just a quick question... is there anything wrong with using regular, Wal-Mart optics lens cleaner vs. iKlear or something Apple recommended? The Wal-Mart stuff says it's alcohol free and doesn't harm anti-glare coatings. I just want to make sure that I'm not tearing away at my laptop with any harmful chemicals from my Wal-Mart eyeglasses cleaner.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I doubt it. I'm sure there's some that would beg to differ with me, but frankly, in my experience (and I've literally cleaned hundreds of LCDs), as long as it's ammonia free and designed to clean glass, it should be fine.

Personally, I use Spic&Span Cinch for cleaning my laptop screens (including my MBP) and it works just great. Since I have a 2 year old that loves to put his finger prints on my screen, I clean it regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i use a warm slightly damp wet rag, and take my time.

about once a month.

its free, and it works wonderfully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
I work in home theater at Best Buy, so I use my discount to buy "Monster ScreenClean." Works great!

Reaction score
Not trying to say Cinch doesn't work, but I found a comment about using Cinch on Spicnspan's website.

Spic And Span & Cinch - household cleaning products for faster and easier house cleaning

Q. Does Cinch contain ammonia?

A. No, Cinch does not contain ammonia. However, while it doesn't contain ammonia, if the manufacturer is cautioning against the use of ammonia because of its pH (alkalinity), Cinch would not be recommended for the surface. You may want to contact the item's manufacturer for clearer instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just a quick question... is there anything wrong with using regular, Wal-Mart optics lens cleaner vs. iKlear or something Apple recommended?
For the record, Apple doesn't recommend any chemical cleaners.
Apple said:
Cleaning Your MacBook Display
Follow these general rules when cleaning the screen.

* Shut down your MacBook, detach the power adapter, and remove the battery.
* Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.

Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

Also, just so you know, this thread is over a year old... I think the OP got the answers he was looking for by now.
:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not trying to say Cinch doesn't work, but I found a comment about using Cinch on Spicnspan's website.

Spic And Span & Cinch - household cleaning products for faster and easier house cleaning

Q. Does Cinch contain ammonia?

A. No, Cinch does not contain ammonia. However, while it doesn't contain ammonia, if the manufacturer is cautioning against the use of ammonia because of its pH (alkalinity), Cinch would not be recommended for the surface. You may want to contact the item's manufacturer for clearer instructions.

That's called legal CYA... just in case it happens to break something. I've been using it for years on all kinds of different surfaces and have never known it to damage anything.

The damp towel method is great if you don't have greasy smudges on the screen. But just as oil and water don't mix, you aren't going to remove something like that with a damp towel alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook soon!
I also use a warm damp rag, works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
I use Isopropyl alcohol. Takes all the smudges and random oils off of my Macbook and my iphone without problem. 77 cents at Wal-mart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Windex works wonders :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
NEVER use Windex.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.