Ignore iMac internal CD Drive

Reaction score
A friend bought a new iMac and was going to throw out her mid-2011. Silly. I took it and took care of most problems. One lingers. The internal CD Drive is broke and I don't need it. But there are continuous and endless attempts to read a disk (whether or not one is inside.) Any suggestions for getting Yosemite to ignore the drive altogether? Thanks.

George

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any suggestions for getting Yosemite to ignore the drive altogether?

If you're able to access the inside…just unplug the optical drive power cable.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. I will if I need to. I'm looking for the lazy man's method: A software instruction. :Smirk:

OP
M
Reaction score
I found this (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3070708?start=0&tstart=0). Removing the two StorageFamily.kext files didn't do the job. The system is still doing something with the CD drive (initializing? looking for a disk?)

I'm hesitant to issue the Terminal commands without understanding the relationship of the IOSCSI and IOBD files to what I'm trying to accomplish. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reboot and hold down the mouse key immediately.

If you must go into Terminal, which is a pretty dangerous place, enter the following:-

drutil eject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Assuming there is no disc in, you will have to remove the cable from the rear of the optical drive. When faulty they can repeatedly try to eject a non existent disc. If you remove the optical drive you will have to also unplug it's temperature sensor, and then when all 3 fans run at full speed it will be worse than listening to the drives retries, so leave it in situ. Once the iMac's glass and LCD are removed you will also have to remove the drives 4 screws, as you will need to lift it up to slide out the cable from its rear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.