If you don't like Photos keep using iPhoto

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I've said this before but I'll say it again, sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I may not be the only one.
Yes the OS 10.10.3 update installed Photos, and yes it removed the iPhoto icon on the Dock (replacing it with the Photos icon) BUT it didn't remove iPhoto 9.6.1 from Applications. It's still there!
If you open it you will see a dialogue box telling you that if you choose to use iPhoto any changes you make will not be reflected in Photos (you need to think about that) but for some of us any price is worth the relief that we don't have to cope with photos today. In the long run however we will so its up to you, but for now we still have a choice.

C

chas_m

SEE ALSO: Pages. Numbers. Keynote. Final Cut. iWeb. iDVD. iMovie. Garageband. AppleWorks for more than five years after it was discontinued. Myriad third-party programs, but I'll mention just one: Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (you need to reinstall Java 6, and CC 2015 runs rings around it, but by gum it runs!).

I know change can be awkward (for a little while) sometimes, but please just stop pretending to be shocked. Apple has been doing this for nearly 40 years. It will continue doing it, because that is how you innovate.

Reaction score
I've said this before but I'll say it again, sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I may not be the only one.
Yes the OS 10.10.3 update installed Photos, and yes it removed the iPhoto icon on the Dock (replacing it with the Photos icon) BUT it didn't remove iPhoto 9.6.1 from Applications. It's still there!
If you open it you will see a dialogue box telling you that if you choose to use iPhoto any changes you make will not be reflected in Photos (you need to think about that) but for some of us any price is worth the relief that we don't have to cope with photos today. In the long run however we will so its up to you, but for now we still have a choice.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. :) With no advanced editing capability ,it seems to me Photos is a retrograde step. :Not-Amused:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What advanced editing functions are you looking for? I haven't played with Photos much yet but saw the feature list during the Keynote. If it currently does everything in the keynote it's as advanced as iPhoto in the editing department but the features are implemented differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. :) With no advanced editing capability ,it seems to me Photos is a retrograde step. :Not-Amused:

What editing tools is Photos lacking that iPhoto has?

Reaction score
Well all I can say is I must be missing something cos I can't find them. :Confused: I select Edit and am presented with a menu of: Enhance, Rotate, Crop, Filters, Adjust, Retouch - no temp or tint adjustment, contrast, definition, highlights, shadows, sharpness, de-noise, or histogram. If these are included, and I've missed them, I'd be grateful if someone would point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try this and see if it gets the controls you need:
1. Launch the program and load a photo.
2. From the Image menu choose Show Edit Tools
3. A list of things appears on the right side of the screen next to the photo. Click the "Adjust" button (3rd from bottom).
4. If the adjustment you need is not there click the blue "Add" option at the top of the window you are in. It will show you additional adjustment features that can be added to the list.

If "Show Edit Tools" is grayed out the needed window is already visible. Skip to step 3.

Reaction score
Try this and see if it gets the controls you need:
1. Launch the program and load a photo.
2. From the Image menu choose Show Edit Tools
3. A list of things appears on the right side of the screen next to the photo. Click the "Adjust" button (3rd from bottom).
4. If the adjustment you need is not there click the blue "Add" option at the top of the window you are in. It will show you additional adjustment features that can be added to the list.

If "Show Edit Tools" is grayed out the needed window is already visible. Skip to step 3.
Got it! Thanks, Slydude. :Blushing: (but why so well hidden?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Slydude, you're

answer really helped me out.

I think Photos is really a cumbersome, poorly thought out App whereas iPhoto was just good enough. I know there's a learning curve but Photos sucks.

Is there a way to go back to iPhoto?

Thanks-
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to go back to iPhoto?

As has been stated many times... unless you specifically removed iPhoto, it's still there on your machine. Just continue to use it instead of Photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Thanks - one more question -

It seems that "Sort in Ascending order" is missing - or am I wrong? Why do my oldest photos appear first?

Thanks again -

Rich

S.O

Reaction score
Worked for me

What advanced editing functions are you looking for? I haven't played with Photos much yet but saw the feature list during the Keynote. If it currently does everything in the keynote it's as advanced as iPhoto in the editing department but the features are implemented differently.

Thanks Slydude, this saved me!

ImDrRichard - couldn't agree more!

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My photos are all sorted in descending order as with iPhoto, that is, the most recent in the Photos view is the last added ie my most recent are last at the bottom of the viewing window.
This is what my View Menu looks like. You'll notice keep sorted by date is greyed out but that may change with future updates at the moment there seems no way to change that.
Don't forget this is an unfinished app, fully functional but with additions to come I think.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 18.03.15.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.