• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

idvd help

Reaction score
OK, I 've been using imovie for years but this is the first time I've tried to use idvd to burn one of my projects.

I have heard that the Max length in idvd is 1 hour at high quality and 1 1/2 at a reduced quality. Is this true? and if so, what kind of quality difference can I expect?

All I will be burning this time is home video footage. My project is getting close to an hour and I have a feeling I will need to go over an hour.

Would I be better doing it in 2 parts?

Thanks

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Just set it on best quality. If you go over it will pop up a message telling you you will need to go for best performance

I have not noticed a difference

J

Jefe3223

I think there is a slight quality differnce, but very minimal in my opinion (reminds me of the quality differences when you recorded on VHS...I never noticed much of a difference). I heard you can fit a lot more on a dvd than just 1.5 hours at low, quality. I've never tried burning at low quality (and have since stopped burning dvds, period); but that's what I just hear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
you wont notice any difference on standard TV.

T

theDVshow

max time is usually what the disc will hold (normally up to 2 hours without menus, etc)

Degredation of the quality of video should not be a problem depending on what brand of blank DVD you use...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Verbatim is what Apple Branded discs are

I have used Sony, Verbatim and Ritek

Only brand I don't reccomend is Memorex

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I use Verbatim, Imation and TDK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.