• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Idvd has sneakily used up all my memory

Reaction score
Hi, I have a powermac g4 running OS X 10.4 with a hard drive of 80gb. I have been using idvd to create some rather large dvds (I have been saving the files onto an external hard drive) but all of the memory on my main hard drive has been used up. I only have 2gb left. I need at least 8gb to burn a dvd. I have cleaned off my computer of all the files (& some applications) but I still don't know where this memory has gone and am getting very frustrated (and desperate) because my deadline is approach rapidly. Can someone please help me. Thanks in advance:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OPen Terminal (in utilities) and copy in this command

sudo du -cxhd 1 /

That will tell you which folders are using up all that space

It will take some time , but then you can use cd then /Directory_Name to go in to a sepcific folder, repeat the sudo du -cxhd 1 / command to find out what sub folders are hogging all that space

If you dont like using the terminal then programs like Disk Inventory may help
http://www.derlien.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.