• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD and Yosemite OSX

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a new 13" MacBook pro that has a built-in SuperDrive. My old one is a 2009 Mac. I've been importing and editing videos in iMovie 09 for years, but need to buy a new computer soon. My question is, can iDVD work in iMovie.10? I have a hard disk copy of ilife 09, and have read that I might be able to download just the iDVD files to the new computer. While looking at the new iMovie software on the new Mac in the Apple store, I did not see a way to share to iDVD or to a media browser. Can I import video to iDVD to burn, or will in need to purchase a 3rd party burning program to do the job?
I am a new member to Mac forum, and would appreciate any assistance you can give. Thanks.

C

chas_m

I can verify that iDVD, if already installed on a Mac running Yosemite, runs. The *latest* version of iMovie doesn't seem to support it, but ISTR that the previous one still did (if iDVD was installed). I don't know if you can install iDVD from the iLife 09 disc, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The latest version of iMovie has lost the ability to Share to iDVD. Mainly because iDVD is no longer included on new Macs. However, I think that you should be able to use Migration Assistant to transfer iDVD from your present Mac to your new one, and that it should work under Yosemite. It still works with Mavericks.

Can I import video to iDVD to burn
Just Export/Share from the new iMovie using the "To File" option and you can just drag and drop that file into the iDVD window.

OP
A
Reaction score
Dear MightyGem,
Thank you so much for the information. As a new member to MacForum, I wasn't sure about how to write a post. I will try this method when I purchase the new notebook. One final question . Where can I find Migration Assistant on the new Mac? Again, thanks for your patience and assistance. It is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Where can I find Migration Assistant on the new Mac?
It should be in Utilities Folder in your Applications Folder.

OP
A
Reaction score
Dear Mighty Gem,

Thanks so much for the information. I'll be sure to let you know how things worked out after I buy the new computer. It's nice to know that there are friendly and knowledgeable people on this site so willing to help. Have a happy holiday season!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
If anyone cares there is a work around to even go back & use iMovie 5.2 with iDVD 7.1.2! You just go to File & select the Quicktime Movie using "One Step from Movie". Maybe everyone knows this, but there maybe another non expert like me that has old standard def. movies they want to edit with the very simple, older iMovie 5.0 7 then burn them with iDVD 7.1.2! I love the simplicity of the ancient iMovie 5.0. I wish the new H.D. versions were so simple & user friendly as iMovie 5.0. Some us don't want to make a Hollywood movie we just want to do simple editing of vacation movies.

1. What is the simplest application to edit H.D. movies?
2. Is there a good way to burn H.D. movies to a DVD for those that don't want all their videos stored on a hard drive?

Last edited:
C

chas_m

First of all, the latest version of iMovie fully supports standard editing and SD video.

As for your second question, in order to burn HD movies to a DVD (which uses standard definition), the quality will have to be reduced along with the ratio. You can hook up a Blu-ray burner and use third-party software such as Toast to burn an HD movie onto Blu-ray, thus preserving the quality, but iMovie doesn't support it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Dear Mr. D,
Thanks for replying to my post. I'm sure members and others viewing this thread who have older macs and earlier versions of iMovie will be happy for the information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.