icloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,

Didn't know where to put this, but here goes.

What on earth has happened to icloud? It's obviously had an update but I can no longer put my pdf's in there.

What I've been doing for ages, is paying a bill and then saving it and the receipt as a pdf and then dragging it to icloud. I sometimes get a message telling me that I can't upload a file unless it's readable by pages... I've saved these things in pages and read them back on the desktop, but they still won't go into icloud.

I can see files that I've saved previously that are exactly the same format, but it won't accept new one's.

Can someone tell me if I'm suddenly doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
iCloud what? iCloud drive? iCloud storage from inside Pages? Something else? Mac? iPhone? What version of the OS of whatever device? We need a lot more than "it doesn't work" to be able to help.

And the proper forum would have been the macOS forum or iPhone, depending on what device you are talking about, but maybe a MOD will move it for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll hold off moving this question to a more appropriate forum until we know where this problem is occurring.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Sorry for the late reply and lack of info'. I'm using icloud on my mid 2013 MBA. I've just discovered that if I put the file into Pages on the desktop, I can then get it in to Pages in the cloud. The self same file won't go directly from my desktop into iCloud. I'm sure I used to be able to do this, or am I getting sillier as I get older?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the late reply and lack of info'. I'm using icloud on my mid 2013 MBA. I've just discovered that if I put the file into Pages on the desktop, I can then get it in to Pages in the cloud. The self same file won't go directly from my desktop into iCloud. I'm sure I used to be able to do this, or am I getting sillier as I get older?
That doesn't really answer the question. But we now know it's on a MBA, so Sly can move the thread. How are you trying to go directly from desktop to iCloud? The way to do that is to use iCloud Drive, which is a folder that is synced to iCloud. Are you using that? Or are you trying to somehow drag/drop from the Desktop to something else? Remember, we cannot see what you are doing or seeing, you have to be very descriptive so we can understand what is happening.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I did put the pdf folder into Pages and I was then able to drag it into the pages part of iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I did put the pdf folder into Pages and I was then able to drag it into the pages part of iCloud.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand that at all. Given that I'm not understanding what you are doing, I'll drop out and let someone else try to assist. Good luck with it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@hoody

iCloud and iCloud Drive are different things.

iCloud is predominantly used for syncing data between Devices. It is also used for backups from iDevices and from the Photos app on any/all Devices.

This quote from Apple Support:

"iCloud is the service from Apple that securely stores your photos, notes, passwords and other data in the cloud and keeps it up to date across all your devices automatically. iCloud also makes it easy to share photos, notes and more with friends and family. You can also back up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using iCloud".

"iCloud includes a free email account and 5 GB of free storage for your data. For more storage and additional features, you can subscribe to iCloud+."

iCloud Drive is where you can store data and where you can access that data, if required, from any Device.

A full explanation can be found here:

In my opinion, iCloud Drive is where you should be saving your files such as PDFs and the like.

I concede that the distinction between iCloud and iCloud Drive is confusing and there is some degree of overlap between the two.

And, just to conclude, I didn't fully understand your comment about "putting a PDF into Pages app" - unless you meant that you recreated the document in Pages app and then created a PDF and Saved it as a PDF. Pages can be uploaded to iCloud; but if you have a PDF created outside of Pages or from the Web etc, that should go to iCloud Drive.

It would be nice to know if any of the above has helped?:)

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ian and sorry I haven't replied. I didn't get a notification email. It seems a bit hit and miss for some reason.

Anyway, I've had a read on the link you sent and I'll have to go back again to have a practice.

Once again, sorry for taking so long to find this.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bravo. Good luck.

No worries about your delayed reply. Totally understand.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.