iCloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I have iCloud turned on, but I do not own any Apple products aside from this iMac.
Is it pointless in my case? As I understand it, iCloud is a mechanism for sharing between Apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I think that you can backup your data to it also. Check the time machine settings if you use it. I am sure that the pros will add to this thread

Reaction score
Go to iCloud.com and log in. See if anything you find there would be useful to you when you are away form your iMac (say on vacation). You can access your iCloud mail, contacts, notes, reminders, documents, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have iCloud turned on, but I do not own any Apple products aside from this iMac.
Is it pointless in my case? As I understand it, iCloud is a mechanism for sharing between Apple products.

One of the main features of iCould is internet based storage. Basically the ability to store stuff that you would normally store on a computers internal hard drive/SSD. This allows access to it from anywhere…and could also act as a backup.

If you had multiple devices (computers, iPad, iPhone, etc.)…iCloud could come in handy for sharing/having access to things like documents, videos, photos, etc. Access when you are at home or away from home.

https://www.apple.com/icloud/

- Nick

C

chas_m

It's true that if the only device you own is a Mac, then iCloud offers less than it would to the mobile-device-plus-Mac owner.

However, there's still plenty of good stuff there for anyone. Here's a partial list:

1. Ad-free, IMAP email
2. An Apple ID for the iTunes/Mac App/iBook/iTunes U/etc stores
3. Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Mac (yes, Mac!)
4. (Sorta coming soon) iCloud Drive, where you can store up to 5GB of stuff free, and more for a very modest fee.
5. (also coming soon) iCloud Photo Library, if you wish, can automatically back up your photos.
6. And of course when (not if!) you gain an iOS device, all these services and more spill over onto them with automatic syncing.
7. Use of the web-based iWork suite for free -- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
8. Convenient web access to Notes, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts and Mail when you are away from your own computer

There's probably a thing or two I've forgotten, but all that for $0 ain't a bad deal.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I see it says I have 5 of 5 Gs available (cloud storage). Not to sound like an ingrate, but that amount is laughably small.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I see it says I have 5 of 5 Gs available (cloud storage). Not to sound like an ingrate, but that amount is laughably small.

It might sound small, but lots of folks will be able to use that to store photos, documents, and what not. Of course if you need more space, then look elsewhere. There are plenty of other venues that provide more space for free. However, none offer the convenience that iCloud does for owners of Apple devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Correct me if I am wrong but iCloud seems to only store documents from pages or numbers or keynote. I use word and excel so none of my document files are stored. If there is some sort of setting I am missing I would appreciate having it pointed out.

iCloud is limited. It would be much more useful if you could upload what ever you want from what ever program. Maybe that will change with the new iCloud that us supposed to come around the time yosemite comes out????

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe that will change with the new iCloud that us supposed to come around the time yosemite comes out????

That's my understanding. It'll be like Dropbox where you can store any document - Word, Excel, PP, along with iWork documents.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

This is true…but it's also FREE!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
That's my understanding. It'll be like Dropbox where you can store any document - Word, Excel, PP, along with iWork documents.

That would be nice. Right now I use dropbox and it works great. I have somewhere over 50GB which is enough for now.

I do worry about having cloud storage spread all over the internet. Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc..... I try to keep it to just dropbox for documents and pictures and google drive to back up my phone contacts and calendar (I started using it for backup before the others were offered.)

iCloud is going to have to impress me before I would consider switching to just them.

Lisa

C

chas_m

As someone currently testing iCloud Drive in Yosemite, I find it very impressive. I am keen to move away from Dropbox for security reasons.

The pricing for iCloud Drive (when it becomes formally available) is 99 cents per month for 20GB, $4 per month for 200GB. For most people -- and particularly given the complete integration on iOS and OS X -- that's going to be a heck of a deal. Yes, there are places where you might find the same or better for a bit more money, but this is deeply integrated into the system. I really like the way it automatically organizes folders by the application associated with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.