Icloud question

Reaction score
Hey, kind of new to apple here. Just got an iphone, and was curious as to what I can actually store in icloud. Music? Movies? Apps? Can I use it as a portable HDD? Or is it very limited on what can be stored? What is the benefit of having 50gb of space as an upgrade? I can't seem to find clear answers to these things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

To save a long post have a look here, Apple (United Kingdom) - iCloud - All your music on all your devices.

but regarding storage I use Numbers Keynote and Pages on iPhone and Mac for day to day tasks etc. But when the time comes that I need more space then I will buy. If you do not plan to use to such an extent then the free allocation should be fine.
And no it is not a portable HD, think of it as hub between devices, for transferring or backing up information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
The way I understand it is that basic iCloud doesn't store your music collection, it can auto-download new purchases bought from iTunes onto all your devices and give you download capability to previous iTunes purchases as well by clicking the grey iCloud icon against the title in the 'Purchased' list on your devices.

That is unless you purchase iTunes Match, in which case your entire music library (even those purchased elsewhere) will be stored for an annual fee. (Although this isn't strictly true as it's cross-referencing titles that it already has in it's store with titles that you have but it doesn't, so it only has to upload to iCloud only those that it can't match. It doesn't use as much storage space doing it this way (slight of hand:)) . You can stream and download this content.

Movies I believe are still the subject of legal discussion surrounding licensing and copyright and not available to my knowledge as yet.

I would recommend that you have a look at the Apple website and other support pages for a more detailed overview as some content regarding other apps is stored and some isn't, but as oldscribe says the free 5GB seems adequate.

Apple (United Kingdom) - iCloud - The new way to store and access your content.

OP
G
Reaction score
That pretty much answers my question. Appreciate it, guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.