iCloud Drive email link missing from Share options

Reaction score
With a folder, file dropped in to iCloud drive when selecting share there is no way to share with a link to email message a large file or folder.. The email link option does not appear.

Using iCloud.com and selecting the ICloud drive you can get the option to copy and share a link.

Why can't you get the extension email link in the share extensions.

Mac High Sierra.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Things may be different for you in macOS High Sierra.
In my case on macOS Ventura if I right click on a folder in iCloud in the Finder sidebar I get the Share option.
Clicking Share brings up another window with Collaborate or Share by Mail as one option as well as many others.
Clicking Mail brings up an outgoing Mail window with a link to the Folder pre filled. So that works.
The catch may be that all of my iCloud files/folders are also locally stored. If not locally stored it may not work. The solution may be to download those files to your device but that may not be something you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
With a folder, file dropped in to iCloud drive when selecting share there is no way to share with a link to email message a large file or folder.. The email link option does not appear.

Using iCloud.com and selecting the ICloud drive you can get the option to copy and share a link.

Why can't you get the extension email link in the share extensions.

Mac High Sierra.
iCloud Drive and iCloud.com are two different things. Unfortunate naming coincidence, but iCloud Drive creates a folder on the Desktop where, if you put a file/folder, it will be shared among all devices using the same AppleID account, so your iPhone, iPad and any Macs. But iCloud.com is a different thing, just a storage area, and yes, there you can share. But it's not the same location as iCloud Drive that is on the Desktop.

So, if you want to share, get it to iCloud.com on the drive there, get the link and share it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just to confuse things a little, you can view iCloud Drive on icloud.com in some ways this is a good thing because it makes the distinction between the two kinda obvious. iCloud drive is a storage area within iCloud. That makes sense, right?
Showing it on the Finder window sidebar is just a matter of choosing to do so in Finder settings.

OP
R
Reaction score
I can share, get file links for emailing from the iCloud drive window.

However, I can not get a folder link for emailing from the iCloud window.

I can get a folder link for emailing a large folder from iCloud Drive iCloud.com

Is there some limitation in High Sierra that prevents folder email links using the iCloud drive window.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry, a little confused here. My current thinking is I just want iCloud drive to get links to email large folders or files. However, when I move a folder or file into iCloud drive it disappear from the iMac.

Is there a setting to move a folder or file into iCloud drive and leave a copy on your Mac.

I could understand the move with disappear from the iMac if I wanted to use iCloud drive to mirror my iMac. I do not want to do that. I use Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
iCloud drive is for sharing documents with all of your devices logged into the same iCloud account. Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Things you move to iCloud should not "disappear" from the Mac. How do you know they are disappearing? Do you have iCloud drive turned on? I don't have High Sierra, but there was a setting in System Preferences, as I recall, to turn on iCloud Drive. Read the article I linked above. I would recommend against turning on Desktop & Documents Folder in iCloud Drive and also recommend against "Optimize Mac Storage" because both of those move documents to the cloud and leave just links to them on the Mac. That's fine, IF you have a high speed internet connection that never fails. If you don't, then when those documents on the Desktop and Documents folder need to be opened, if you have slow Internet, will take forever to download, and if the Internet is not available, will not be available to you at all.

iCloud is not intended for sharing links by email. It's YOUR data. If you want to share, use a third party cloud solution like DropBox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.