iCloud Causing A "Mess" Help Please ?

Reaction score
Hello,

Running Mojave.

As usual, I guess I must have done something really dumb, but I don't understand what happened. Hard to explain, but will try:

I went to System Preferences, and clicked on iCloud.
An APP the wife wanted, Apple News, apparently requires it.
I know nothing about the Cloud(s), and have never used them.
Haveno idea if I am/was signed into iCloud. Truly, no idea how to use it.

Anyway, my Desktop opened up with most all of the Folders I had created
totally gone !

But if I unblock the iCloud box I clicked on in System Preferences, they all come back with a bunch of others. A real mess.

What might have happened, please ?

*And, some of the Folders on the desktop now (but not all)
have that little cloud with the downward
arrow on it. Never saw any Folders like this previously. What are these ?

Sr. Citizen now, very, so will blame my ignorance on that.

If someone could explain for me what likely happened,
would be most appreciative. e.g., do I want/need it ? Why ?

**what iCloud is for
**when to use iCloud,
**etc., etc. It sure did mess things up for me.

As always, thanks, and be well,
Bob

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you enable iCloud support on a Mac, you get a number of things like the iCloud Drive which allows you to share files/folders across multiple devices. You also get the ability of a number of Apple apps syncing their data across all device. For example, you can start a note in the Notes app on your phone and pick it up on your Mac and so on.

One of the MOST confusing feature that also came along for the ride was the ability to keep your Desktop & Documents folders sync'ed across all devices. This feature works fine if you start using your computer that way from day one. You won't know any different. The Desktop & Documents will be available to share across all devices.

However, if you weren't using that feature and suddenly enable it, it causes a lot of confusion and in MOST cases, you can just disable this particular feature and keep the rest of the features enabled. If you absolutely must share a file/folder, then the iCloud Drive is a better option that you have complete control over.

TL;DR - Go to System Preferences->Apple ID. Keep the checkmark on iCloud Drive, then click on Options.. and uncheck Desktop & Document Folders while leaving the rest of it checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
WARNING: While what Ashwin said is all true and well said, there are a couple of small gotchas in there. First, in addition to unchecking Desktop & Document folders on iCloud Drive, there is a check box at the iCloud level that says "Optimize Mac Storage" that does pretty much the same thing as checking the Desktop & Documents option. So make sure you un-check both of those.

Second, what should happen at that point is that all of the icons with the little cloud will start downloading to be on your system again. You need to let that run until it is complete.I can take a while, if what it uploaded is large and your internet is slow. What happened is that when you selected iCloud the defaults were for those two boxes to the checked, which then means the system uploads everything in the Documents folder and everything on the Desktop to the cloud. The little cloud symbol lets you know that has happened and that if you want that document/folder, it will require downloading before you can open it. Theoretically, unchecking those two boxes will trigger all of them to be downloaded onto your Mac again, but you may want to check carefully to make sure that actually happens.

The way the Optimize function works is that files that the system doesn't see you using get uploaded to the cloud to make space on the local drive, then when you call for it, the system downloads the file/folder for you and keeps it for a while for you to use. If you then don't use it again, it's transferred back to the cloud. So the little cloud symbol is there to let you know where that particular file/folder is at the moment. If you are short of disk space and if you have high speed internet at all times, that Optimization can be a good thing. But if you have plenty of drive space and/or have slower internet access, or want to operate without a high speed internet connection, it's not practical.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,
Much thanks; really appreciate the help.
Sure is a lot to know.
And at my age now, "to understand". Does get a bit confusing.

Regards, and stay well,
Bob

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi again,

Just a followup before I do anything:

Have a Folder on desktop.
It does Not have the little Cloud icon by it.

But inside it, I have several items with the Cloud icon next to them.

Double clicking on any of them does nothing; can't open up and read.
Nor can I do absolutely anything with them, like doing a COPY, and Paste to some place else. A USB stick, e.g.

Also get a msg that iCloud is "full".

I will do all the disabling of iCloud that was suggested, but first I thought it
would be good to understand what is happening with the above. ?

Why can't I read or move them ?

Thoughts ?

Thanks again,
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can't move them because you don't have them. Your iCloud account is full, so there wasn't room for your files to go there. I don't know what Apple does in that case (where someone tries to optimize the drive use but doesn't have sufficient space for it). At this point before I did anything, I'd get Apple support to try to help me to make sure I didn't lose anything. You can find them at Apple.com, click on Support, enter iCloud as a topic and look for a "contact us" kind of prompt. I would either do online chat or a telephone call. My experience with both is very good.

As for the specific files, the cloud symbol means they are in the cloud and you can't do anything with them until they are downloaded and on your Mac. It's really that simple. The complication is the "full" status, which is why I suggest talking to Apple directly.

Have you gotten any messages about iCloud being full before? I would have expected something popping up as the system tried to move things to the cloud and ran out of space.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

First time for the msg.
Thanks for advice with this. very clear explanations.

Really nice of you folks to take the time to help
me; much appreciated.

Best regards, and stay well,
Bob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.