iCloud access?

Reaction score
A message popped up on my screen:: "Confirm Device Password to continue using iCloud".

The problem is that I have tried all my usual passwords but can't find one which works. Advice welcomed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What device are you using? It is looking for a device specific password.

Reaction score
I have never had any success with iCloud. I have two iCloud "User" e-mail addresses and two passwords, and nothing works. I wish I could scrub all my info off of iCloud and start again, but my understanding is that iCloud is in charge, not me. I have to do what iCloud wants. And all iCloud wants to do is send me error messages. I don't even care any more. I just wish the "You must log in" pop-ups would stop.

Sorry to go Off-Topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
It is the DEVICE password, i.e. if using an iPhone the iPhone passcode, that is assume you have given us the correct pop-up message.

Reaction score
If you've double-checked and it's not the device passcode, here are some other steps you could try:
  1. Check the Apple System Status page to make sure there are no outages or scheduled maintenances currently affecting iCloud.
  2. Make sure that you’re signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
  3. If you can't remember your Apple ID, there are settings and services to help find it.
  4. If you've forgotten your Apple ID password, there's a process to reset it.
  5. If you get a message that your Apple ID is locked or disabled, there are steps to unlock it.
  6. If you can't sign in to iCloud.com, there's a separate troubleshooting process.
Here's the link to Apple's support page with more detailed information.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you all for responding.

I have various pieces of Apple kit, most recently (a few weeks ago) an iPhone 14. I have a simple password for accessing that, as a backup for facial recognition. However, the warning message pops up on my iMac. I have an AppleID + password which worked until recently but is not now recognised. I will keep persevering...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Well, that was quick - I went back to try my iMac password and it worked!
So it was your iMac password required, not your Apple ID :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think the message was pretty clear; Confirm Device Password, that suggests the computer Login Password (Usually the same as the Admin password) although I have never seen this request myself.
Maybe, if there is no password required at Wake and the device has not been shut down for a long time iCloud requires you to enter it, just to make sure it's you using the device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the message was pretty clear; Confirm Device Password, that suggests the computer Login Password (Usually the same as the Admin password) although I have never seen this request myself.
Maybe, if there is no password required at Wake and the device has not been shut down for a long time iCloud requires you to enter it, just to make sure it's you using the device?
I took "device" to be an iPhone or iPad, given that the OP put the post in this forum. But then the OP said:

Well, that was quick - I went back to try my iMac password and it worked!
So now I have no clue what the entire thread is about. iMacs are not generally referred to as "devices" and when I've seen a request for a password it says "account."

But who knows? In any event, it seems to have been resolved.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Seems Apple now refers to everything as a "device" be it a desktop, laptop, watch, iPad or iPhone. For me too it's usually the account P/W ie. my Apple P/W.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Seems Apple now refers to everything as a "device" be it a desktop, laptop, watch, iPad or iPhone. For me too it's usually the account P/W ie. my Apple P/W.
Rod, that would be very curious of them. In the iPad and iPhone, there is only one passcode, the "device" PW. No accounts, no admin/user differentiation. Just one device code. So that makes sense for them to call it a device code.

But for an iMac or MBA/MBP or Mini or any other hardware running macOS, the passwords are associated with an account, not a device. Any given hardware can have multiple user accounts, so multiple passwords. I'm thinking that any time it asks for "device" PW, that's the iPhone/iPad but if it asks for an account, or user, PW, or an Admiin password, in macOS, it's the account password.

And I have noticed that when it wants the AppleID password, it is very specific about that, even on iPhone and iPad. On the iPhone/iPad the keyboard pops up for a password, but the number pad for the "device" code. I think it is possible on an iDevice to have an alphanumeric unlock device code, but I've not tried setting one. Maybe the keyboard would open instead of the keypad?

I'll keep an eye out for the next time I see a request for a password to see if Apple has, in fact, changed things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I think it is possible on an iDevice to have an alphanumeric unlock device code, but I've not tried setting one. Maybe the keyboard would open instead of the keypad?
Yes, the keyboard pops up when using alpha-numeric passcode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.