Ibook keeps freezing, any help?

Reaction score
I have an ibook g4 and it keeps freezing up on me. When I boot up sometimes it works fine for a little bit then just freezes everything just stops moving. And sometimes it just wont load all the way up to the login screen and just stays at a blank blue screen. Anyone have any ideas?

OP
J
Reaction score
Like right now it is completely booted up and I am looking at my desktop and icons and my mouse will move but I cannot click on anything. The dock wont even pop up on mouse over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Logic Board failure by the sound of it. The G4 iBook is prone to it.
The best fix is to get the chip soldered. If you google "iBook G4 chip solder" you should find a good guide as to how. You just need to find someone competent if you are not.

OP
J
Reaction score
Would logic board failure cause the HD to start taking up alot of space? I noticed last night while just trying to check settings and everything that my hd only had 11 gigs left. I did not have this much data on my hd. I backed up my files to a dvd and erased that user name after creating a new one and it brought it back up to around 55 gigs which sounded correct.
But I am still having the possible logic board failure, but I was thinking it more to be hd disk failure. Does this sound like that or no? Thanks for the response kevriano!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well that's certainly odd.
It could be the HD yes.
Have you run disk utility at all? Verify permissions and repair the drive, to see what it comes back with.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yep, it comes back without errors. I am about to get on it and check again in a minute. But the only time I have ever had hard disk space be taken up like that was on a windows, and it certainly was not fun. Im thinking maybe a virus,or just a disk crash. I really hope it's not a virus cuz that would suck and I know there aren't many viruses out there that affect mac so Im really doing something wrong if thats the case! Is there a good freeware OS that I could download somewhere? We just really use that computer for burning dvd/cds and browsing the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No viruses at all for Mac. And just one Trojan I believe, which you won't have.
I still stand by it being a logic board issue most likely.
You could try a clean install of the OS though, it may sort out some issues.

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem is I dont have a disk. Anyone have one they want to sell me? its osx 4.11 I think. Its a power pc so anything that would work on that would work for me

OP
J
Reaction score
Kevriano, I just wanted to say that I now think you are completely correct and that it is the logic board. I have no idea what was taking up all that space tho
But what makes me believe that it is the board is I read the link you gave me and seen what usually causes logic board failure and so I had it working and grab one corner and then another on the opposite side and kind of bent it and it immediately froze up. Looks like I have to go get a hex driver and a soldering iron. Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.