• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

iBook G4

M

Mac2PCBak2Mac

Guest
I am currently returning to Mac after a hiatus of 8 years. I was looking to purchase an iBook G4 that was offered to me hours ago. I was wondering if the system I will be purchasing can run smooth and if it can run games(mvp 2004/5, Madden 05, half life etc...) well. I might have more questions once I purchase the system.

Here are the specs

Processor 1.07GHz PowerPC G4

Memory (DDR SDRAM) 256MB PC2100 (266MHz)

Hard drive 30GB ATA/100 4200 rpm

Optical drive Slot-Load Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)

Display 12.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA

Graphics support ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

FireWire One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps

USB Two USB 2.0 ports at up to 480 Mbps each

Modem Built-in 56K V.92 modem

Ethernet Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet

System software Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther

Software Mac OS X, Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Microsoft Internet Explorer, EarthLink, Quicken 2005 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, Apple Hardware Test

Hardware accessories Apple VGA Display Adapter, modem cable, power adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-ion battery
 
Z

zap2

Guest
how much would this cost [ not to be rude but to see if its worth it?]
 
D

Desolate One

Guest
You're definitely want to get more RAM, especially for anything graphically intensive- like gaming. Unfortunately I'm not much a computer gamer so I couldn't give you a definite answer as far as running those apps.
 
M

Mac2PCBak2Mac

Guest
Desolate One said:
You're definitely want to get more RAM, especially for anything graphically intensive- like gaming. Unfortunately I'm not much a computer gamer so I couldn't give you a definite answer as far as running those apps.

How much more ram and how much would it cost? Would it be semi easy to install?
 
D

Desolate One

Guest
I got a gig stick for a reasonable price @ Coast to Coast Memory. Very easy to install. Just pop the keyboard up, unscrew the Airport card tray, and the slot is right there.

$250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!
 
M

Mac2PCBak2Mac

Guest
Desolate One said:
I got a gig stick for a reasonable price @ Coast to Coast Memory. Very easy to install. Just pop the keyboard up, unscrew the Airport card tray, and the slot is right there.

$250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!

No its the full laptop. Working and all. Good cosmetic condition too.
 

D3v1L80Y


Retired Staff
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
12,455
Reaction score
603
Points
113
Location
PA
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Desolate One said:
$250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!
That, or the person selling has no idea what they are selling. My iBook has pretty much the same specs, but with a 14" screen. I have 512MB of RAM and I am able to run COD, Jedi Academy, THPS4 and a few other games fairly well. With only a 32MB video card, games can be kinda choppy. If gaming is going to be your primary concern, you may want to just stick with a PC or a console system for the games. Everything else will run smooth as silk, just be sure to get at least 512MB of RAM, A 1GB stick would be even better. And since you are only paying $250 for the iBook, you would have plenty of cash left for the RAM.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
670
Reaction score
23
Points
18
Location
Ceres, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
$250 is a great price. Apple is selling these refurbished for $899.00. Are you, um, sure that the guy you are getting it from is legit and that the machine is in good working order?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of gaming performance or even game availability on this system, especially if you are a real PC gamer. Games for the Mac are usually ported several months after the PC versions if at all. I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have even been ported. If you want a machine for gaming, buy something else.
 
M

Mac2PCBak2Mac

Guest
dan828 said:
$250 is a great price. Apple is selling these refurbished for $899.00. Are you, um, sure that the guy you are getting it from is legit and that the machine is in good working order?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of gaming performance or even game availability on this system, especially if you are a real PC gamer. Games for the Mac are usually ported several months after the PC versions if at all. I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have even been ported. If you want a machine for gaming, buy something else.

I get the machine and my cousin in atlanta will pay. I am 100% sure its legit. I didnt know it was a good offer.
 
D

Desolate One

Guest
Mac2PCBak2Mac said:
doesnt work that way. Has to be shipped.
Either way what we mean is scoop this deal up!

And welcome aboard! :mac:
 
J

Jefe3223

Guest
mine was...er...A LOT MORE THAN THAT. I'd buy it and sell it again for more, if I could
 
M

Mac2PCBak2Mac

Guest
Jefe3223 said:
mine was...er...A LOT MORE THAN THAT. I'd buy it and sell it again for more, if I could

If its a good deal then I doubt I will find someone to offer the same deal. Plus its being shipped tomorrow by USPS. Hopefully the upgrades wont cost much.
 
J

Jefe3223

Guest
Mac2PCBak2Mac said:
If its a good deal then I doubt I will find someone to offer the same deal. Plus its being shipped tomorrow by USPS. Hopefully the upgrades wont cost much.
I understand, I was just kidding around. I'm glad you're getting it. Unless you want some crazy upgrades, it shouldn't be too bad.
 
M

Mac2PCBak2Mac

Guest
Jefe3223 said:
I understand, I was just kidding around. I'm glad you're getting it. Unless you want some crazy upgrades, it shouldn't be too bad.

well what would a 512 mb ddr pc3200 ram from a nice vaio pc get me in the case of ram and/or HDD back?
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
670
Reaction score
23
Points
18
Location
Ceres, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Nice deal then.

I just bought some RAM from crucial for a couple of refurb. 1 Ghz iBooks that my boss ordered for his daughter and step-daughter (graduation gifts). They take PC2100 200-pin SODIMMS. Don't know that the pc3200 will work, but it shouldn't be too hard to check. About $115 for 512MB from Crucial if you have to buy some.
 
M

mangoSharingan

Guest
Mine plays Warcraft III fine, and UT2004 is fine if you keep the detail down but Halo is a bit too slow to run decently on my iBook. Some games will run but be prepared to be disappointed.
 
Top