iBook G4 Old Software/OS 9.1??

V

vjamacaddict

Has anyone successfully ran older software on the iBook G4? What about running OS 9.1/8.6? Or older USB/SCSI devices (ZIP 100, Imation SuperDisk, hpdeskjet 5150, harddrives)??

Thanks.

OP
C

Chamorro

vjamacaddict said:
Has anyone successfully ran older software on the iBook G4? What about running OS 9.1/8.6? Or older USB/SCSI devices (ZIP 100, Imation SuperDisk, hpdeskjet 5150, harddrives)??

Thanks.

Please be more specific about software. What do you need to run, or what are you thinking of running?
Are you talking about OS 9 (or earlier) apps? Then you need to run Classic, which means you need to install 9.2, if it's not there already.
Or are you talking about booting into OS9? I'm not sure the iBook G4 supports that.
Older USB devices should be usable as they are now. SCSI devices will need a SCSI>USB or SCSI>FireWire adaptor. I'd recommend SCSI>FireWire or SCSI>USB2.0 if you can find/afford one....either one is much faster than using USB1.1.

OP
P

pcjabber

The G4 does not support booting into OS 9. The iBook G3/800 was the last one that could, and it had to boot into 9.2.2 (no less) to boot 9 at all.

However, you can run it in Classic like Chamorro said.

OP
V

vjamacaddict

iBook G4 - Older Software/Files ??

Chamorro said:
Please be more specific about software. What do you need to run, or what are you thinking of running?
Are you talking about OS 9 (or earlier) apps? Then you need to run Classic, which means you need to install 9.2, if it's not there already.
Or are you talking about booting into OS9? I'm not sure the iBook G4 supports that.
Older USB devices should be usable as they are now. SCSI devices will need a SCSI>USB or SCSI>FireWire adaptor. I'd recommend SCSI>FireWire or SCSI>USB2.0 if you can find/afford one....either one is much faster than using USB1.1.

I am mostly concerned with my volumes of reserach, which would include files created using MW 5.1a, MW 8.0, Reunion 6, Eudora 5.1.1 and Netscape 4.79 for e-mail archives, and image files (GIF and JPEG) using Graphic Converter 3x and 4x, and GIF Converter.

Several people have said that Reunion 6 will run on the iBook G4 using the Classic mode. I still don't know if I'll be able to install MW 8.0 (Office 98). I really need to access my thousands of important e-mail files from Eudora 5.1.1 and Netscape 4.79. Not sure if I'd be able to transfer those e-mail files or not?

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If MW is M$ word, then office 98 will run in the classic mode. I have office 98 running on my iBook and office x on my Ti powerbook. You are running two versions of word, you only need one. Word 98 shoulod be able to read only word documents. The latest version of Graphic Conventer which runs in OS X will handle any problem you might have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.