• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

iBook G4 now, or wait for G5?

Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Points
8
A friend of mine is looking at getting an iBook at some stage this year, wanting to spend a max of about 2-2,500 (Australian$). For what she wants to do with it, a G4 is fine (mostly using M$ Office, iPhoto, Dreamweaver, and iMovie).

Question I have is that the G4 iBook has been around for a while now, and I would hate for her to buy a G4 and then have G5s come out a week later (happened to me with G3 iBook :( ).

Does anyone know when G5 iBooks are due for release? is it worth waiting?

Thanks for the advice :)
 
M

meltbanana314

Guest
Not for a long, long, *long* time. Think Longhorn and Duke Nukem forever long.

Well, maybe not that long - but not anytime within the next 8-10 months most likely.

Your friend is safe buying one now, but wait until after the release of Tiger.
 
M

mangoSharingan

Guest
Well, at least it ain't like Windows laptops where specs change all the time! Sorry to hear about your G3 iBook. It's good that Apple schedules their updates because people know when to expect a new update, price reduction etc.....

I very much doubt we will see a G5 iBook for some time yet. I'm expecting a G5 Mac Mini to come out sometime next year at the latest (so that I can take it for my year abroad!) so hopefully, a similar specced iBook should follow. But yea, I think your friend should wait until Tiger has been confirmed first.
 

Aptmunich


Retired Staff
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
9,073
Reaction score
331
Points
83
Location
Munich
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well you won't see a G5 iBook before the G5 powerbooks are released, so they'll be a while yet.

I guess the next or one after next powerbook revision will either bring a G5 or a dual-core G4. Then the iBooks will first be bumped to 1,33/1,5 Ghz, then 1,5/1,67 Ghz and then they'll get whatever the powerbooks have.

So tell her she's safe for now ;)
 

schweb


Retired Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
13,189
Reaction score
348
Points
83
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If I had to guess...we're years away from a G5 iBook. Unless your friend can wait that long, tell him to get a G4 iBook ;)
 
Top