iBook G3 900 Mac OS ROM file needed

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently did a clean reinstall of Tiger and OS9 on my G3 900 iBook. I'm having problems getting my video working properly in OS9. I used the Tiger retail CDs because I don't have the iBook specific ones.

Right now when booting OS 9 fills the entire screen, but right when the desktop pops up the screen shrinks to 640x480 with black bars all around and cannot be changed. I downloaded and installed the last 9.2.2 ATI Drivers (Jan. 2005) but the ATI utility says the video card is unknown and the video is still shrunken.

I think I may need a different Mac OS Rom file, now running v 9.0.1.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the correct file for my iBook?

Thanks,

Jay

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You said that you installed Tiger (10.4) with the retail install disks...but you didn't say if you were having any problems with 10.4.

How is the computer operating when using 10.4?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
You said that you installed Tiger (10.4) with the retail install disks...but you didn't say if you were having any problems with 10.4.

How is the computer operating when using 10.4?

- Nick

Sorry about that, Tiger is running perfectly. I've had this problem show up on a Dual USB 600 before and the Mac OS Rom file was the culprit, so I figured it probably the same here (hopefully) :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Retail CDs will have the appropriate ROM files for all Macs. They are not machine specific.

It's far more likely that your Mac is simply dying. It is six years old, and the G3 iBooks were known for having video problems..

OP
J
Reaction score
Never mind, figured it out.

For anyone with the same problem, I just download the freely distributed NetBoot version of Mac OS 9 direct from Apple and extracted and used that System Folder and the included Mac OS ROM 9.6.1 Also, seems this distro of OS 9 has many more hardware extensions than the retail version I had installed previous.

Everything works great now!

NetBoot for Mac OS 9: Information and Download

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.