ibook for girls?

Reaction score
so after telling a few of my friends of my newly purchased ibook they were saying to me in a joking fashion that ibooks are for girls b/c they're white and "cute" looking. One guy said that the 12" ibook is especially geared towards women.

I obviously am not offended by their comments but it sorta got me thinking and I started looking around my campus for ibook users and a lof them ARE women.

Did apple partially design their ibooks to be geared towards women?

I personally don't think apple did this but who knows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
going from your username you seem into cars, civics...i like vw's

now....everybody says that the cabrio is a girls car or a gay mans car....but in all sincerity it is a sweet ride

a lot of guys have ibooks because they are great computers and they look awesome too. just because it looks nice doesnt mean it is meant for a girl...that would mean that regular ipods were meant for girls....

also, when you look for something you will notice it more often....if you have the schema of girls and ibooks in your minnd you WILL find more girls with ibooks than guys with ibooks

at the end of the day just remember your ibook is better than their thinkpad ;)

J

Jefe3223

I doubt it. White is a neutral tone and matches with pretty much everything (except colors that should be their in the first place, but i digress). The fact that it matches with everything is one reason why it might be "cute." Also, isn't it better to know that their a re a bunch of girls using macs (conversation starter: "Hey have you ever been to macforums.com? You should really check it out, there's a lot of great people and we help everyone out. By the way, my name's...."). hahaha um I know a bunch of guys with a 12"ibook. I think in the right hands it doesn't have a gender display at all. Mine's the 14" and there is no way that this could get confused for a prissy, "cute" ibook.

OP
S
Reaction score
true true. I personally don't think the ibook is for girls myself but I can sorta see from my friend's perspective as to how he came to that conclusion. I guess its b/c a large portion of girls from our school wear a LOT of white clothing hence that is how he probably made that connection. In any case he thinks my ibook is pretty sweet and he actually liked the look of my ibook better than his IBM T-series thinkpad.

For the first poster that used cars in his example: Yes VW cabrios are pretty nice. I personally think the latest golf cabrio looks slick!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe that Apple products are design with a particular gender in mine, but more toward marketability. If you look at all of the commericals that have Apple products in them with the Apple logo covered up. You still know that it is an Apple product with out seeing the logo.

X

xthisisRomancex

rman said:
I don't believe that Apple products are design with a particular gender in mine, but more toward marketability. If you look at all of the commericals that have Apple products in them with the Apple logo covered up. You still know that it is an Apple product with out seeing the logo.
what about tyhe pink mini lol i bet that was marketed to the females :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
stevescivic said:
Did apple partially design their ibooks to be geared towards women?

I personally don't think apple did this but who knows...

Why would you even bother to put any credance into that statement? I mean do you honestly think that was even a possibility?

J

Jefe3223

Either way, he's happy, we're happy; let's all be happy! Yay for genderless computers!!!
hahaha

Z

zap2

ya the ibook is for the person(man or women)who whats a lower price apple laptop that is still much better then most PC laptops or most Pc for that mattter,good idea on the ibook,(aftter thsi its jsut me talk to may self)i wish i could afford an ibook right now but ill have to what until x-mas(thats so long)bt i may just get an ipod and small stuff onlt time will tell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
well.. one fact is.. girls with Apple laptops are cute.... iGirl or PowerGirl,,, your choice :bone:

S

sebeck

Chalk up another post for a VW person and an iBook owner. I <3 my VW and apple products. :D

D

Desolate One

Look at it this way, how many females are going to inquire on a Dell notebook? And how many are going to rush to your table and have a sit just to tell you "It's sooooooooo cute!"?

Just pull that one over on 'em if they question the masculinity of Apple products. ;)

K

Kokopelli

Is the iBook made and marketed specifically toward women? No. Was the appeal to women a consideration in the design? That is a more interesting question. Computers, but particularly laptops, are designed with function in mind over form. The iBook is ascetically more pleasing than most other laptops IMHO.

I love my ThinkPad but I would never consider its design to be ascetically pleasing. The appearance of the iBook on the other hand is an important factor in its design. This attention to form and detail will be a factor in purchase for certain target markets, particularly women in the 18-24 age bracket.

M

mangoSharingan

Well, look on the bright side, the iBook is likely to attract attention from girls than a fat grey/black brick of plastic. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I certainly don't think the iBooks or Apple products in general are designed to be "cute". They are in my opinion elegant, simple. Maybe they believe is more masculine to carry a 17inch Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 until it tears your arm apart, or maybe they are not used to see non-traditional design like the new light models from Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq or even Dell. Do not worry about them, iBooks are fully customizables, and also called "rugged" laptops on many reviews. And if they can get the attention of the girls in your college... well that's another advantage.

I

iDVFH.

People tend to think Apple is a little girly because they put so much more work into their design than other companies do. The iPod mini's are more aimed towards girls. The pink, blue and even green are more girly (but the green isn't that bad) Heres a question, who exactly designs the look at Apple?

Reaction score
I think if Apple intended to sell iBooks to girls only then they missed their target market real bad.

P

pstauff

Pure bunk. iBook is for all. People who say that kind of stuff are typically jealous or insecure. I would just say, "that's an interesting viewpoint." and go your way.

C

connortn

If I were young again and could purchase something that I really wanted anyway, and it attracted the young girls, you couldn't 'talk' me out of getting it! Heck, I'm too old to attract the young girls anymore and I'm still working on gettin one (ibook, that is).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.