Ibook case warping

J

jofish

i bought my ibook earlier this year and recently noticed that the screen on the left hand side has started to come apart slightly at the seem between the back casing and the lighter grey panel. When i took the ibook into a service agent they suggested it was warping due to heat and told me not put it too close to anything hot. This surprised me as i have been very careful with my ibook and had not put it close to anything hot!

the more i thought about it, the more i thought the heat was coming from the unit when i closed it as it can get quite hot, especially on the left side.

One of my friends who has the same model also has the same problem while another friend doesn't. I was wondering if anyone else was having problems like mine as well? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well no warping here yet (touch wood) but then again I have 1 revision after yours.

Have you ever had the ibook running with the lid partially closed? My guess is that the heat that rises up through the keyboard could be affecting your screen...

The left hand side gets hot because the harddrive (& maybe the processor?) sit under the left palm rest.

Have your called apple?

OP
J

jofish

Aptmunich said:
Have you ever had the ibook running with the lid partially closed? My guess is that the heat that rises up through the keyboard could be affecting your screen...

Have your called apple?

not partially closed but i sometimes just close lid to put it into sleep mode. i haven't called apple yet as performance is not affected but was really interested to see how comon the problem is.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

I have an iBook that I bought in 2001. All the heat comes from the harddrive area although it is more on the bottom of the case than on the palmrest.

I've never had an issue with warping. I think you should have it fixed as Defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"not partially closed but i sometimes just close lid to put it into sleep mode. i haven't called apple yet as performance is not affected but was really interested to see how comon the problem is."

Well putting it to sleep shouldn't hurt it, although I suppose it would take a while to cool down, but I'd also try to get it exchanged if you still have warranty on it,,,

OP
T

the_snitch

are you sure its heat warp? mine was coming apart, and after disassembly i found that it was originally put together with a wire on the wrong side of a screw. It was causing a "Bulge". I just moved it around and screwed it up again

OP
J

jofish

the_snitch said:
are you sure its heat warp? mine was coming apart, and after disassembly i found that it was originally put together with a wire on the wrong side of a screw. It was causing a "Bulge". I just moved it around and screwed it up again

i asked the service centre about something like that and they said there wasn't really anything in that area that would likely cause it.

i had the ibook custom made from apple store australia and nobody else has touched it so you would hope they knew what they were doing.

also, both my ibook and my friends that warpped have had a hdd upgrade- his to 40gb, mine to 60gb so i thought these units may cause extra heat which might have lead to the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think that can be it, because although the capacity is larger, the speed of the drive (and thus the heat it creates) is the same...

I'd recommend calling apple, say it's coming apart and sending it in...

OP
T

TylerMoney

As long as it's not coming all the way, I'd imagine it's qite normail for there to be a little movement it the casing...I mean, anything you move around like that, is probably going to do that....but keep a watch out for it...and don't wait too long before you call apple.

OP
J

jofish

TylerMoney said:
don't wait too long before you call apple.

cheers for the comments- i will continue to keep an eye on it and talk to apple if it gets worse. I live in New Zealand which doesn't actually have apple (the brand is managed by another company) so it will depend somewhat on what my local apple center has to say but as i have applecare on the unit i should be covered for three years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.