IBM's first 64-bit blade servers to use G5 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

IBM's first 64-bit blade servers to use G5 chip
November 14, 2003 - 10:03 EST* IBM on Tuesday will unveil a new line of blade servers based on the same 64-bit PowerPC 970 processor that Apple uses in its Power Mac G5. "The new system, called the eServer BladeCenter JS20 will be IBM's first 64-bit blade offering, joining the 32-bit Xeon HS20 systems IBM is already shipping," Infoworld reports. "The JS20 will come with a lower price tag than its 32-bit Xeon relatives, IBM said. Dual-processor systems will be priced starting at $2,699, one dollar less than the starting price of the HS20, said Jeff Benck, IBM's vice president of eServer BladeCenter."

My Comments: Im kind of surprised that Apple didn't license with IBM with an agreement that only they could use the processors.. interesting...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I really don't think Apple has anything to worry about. It appears, they are going after two different markets. Also application software is a factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
there was probly something in the initial contract with IBM that IBM can use anything they make.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm sure you didn't notice the dates on this thread then? it's over 5 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.