i5,i7 ???????

Reaction score
Since I am waiting in anticipation of a MBP I have read that there is a possibility of i5,i7 in the new MBP. Well I am not computer hardware literate. What is i5,i7 and what does it do?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not to be mean or anything....but do people have some kind aversion to google or something? >_>?

Reaction score
Basically the i5 and i7 are going to be the 'next gen' in computer chips. Right now MBP use Intel Core 2 Duo etc blah blah blah. The next MBP release is 'expected' to be the intel i5 and intel i7. Its just supposed to be a CPU chip that is super duper turbo quick charged compared to the previous ones. I am waiting for the release and will order as soon as it become available.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just kidding. I did Google it but it was all Greek to me. Needed it in elementary terms.
This is what I read and didn't understand.
Intel Core i5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who makes these new processors?...Intel. Maybe going to the Intel web page would be a good place to start for information.

The Intel page may or may not convey the info you want in a format that is understandable to you...but then again there is subject matter in this world that requires that you have some background experience to understand the subject matter.

Would you expect to open up a:

- medical school textbook on brain surgery & understand it...probably not.
- a law school textbook, and understand all of the underlying principles...probably not.
- an auto repair manual on how to remove, disassemble, and rebuild a Chevy 350 cubic inch V-8 engine...probably not.

The same idea may apply to the info you're looking for regarding the new Intel i3, i5, and i7 processors.

In any case...here's a link to the Intel webpage where I think that they are trying to explain the details of the new processors. Hopefully it is in a format that makes sense:

Intel Core Processor Family - Smart processsors - Smart performance - Intel

Hope this helps,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Oversimplified - about as easy as it can be put.

Core2Duo - has 2 processors - can process 2 tasks simultaneously
i5 - has 4 processors - can process 4 tasks simultaneously
i7 - has 4 processors with hyperthreading - can process 8 tasks simultaneously

C

chas_m

It should be mentioned that these new processors are not some revelatory new miracle. They're faster, yes, but IIRC about 20% faster (than an equivalent Core2Duo or multiples as appropriate), which is good but not blindingly different. The thing about them is that not only do that have more cores and are notably faster, but they do this while lowering the energy requirements and thus the heat generated. That's what makes them a big deal.

Whatever it is you require an MBP for, chances are it will do it faster with an i5/i7 than a Core2Duo. But if all you're doing is checking mail, surfing, playing chess etc -- it makes no practical difference.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oversimplified - about as easy as it can be put.

Core2Duo - has 2 processors - can process 2 tasks simultaneously
i5 - has 4 processors - can process 4 tasks simultaneously
i7 - has 4 processors with hyperthreading - can process 8 tasks simultaneously
Perfect explanation. Thanks

I mainly will use it for my businesses. Quickbooks, surfing, documents and emails.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Perfect explanation. Thanks

I mainly will use it for my businesses. Quickbooks, surfing, documents and emails.

The C2D in contemporary machines would be more than capable of those tasks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A differentiation should be made between what the CPU is capable of and how the OS/Software make use of said processor. So though the i5 and i7 are more capable than the Core2Duo processors..the OS/Software has to specifically provide the necessary support (without getting into the nitty gritty) to actually make use of the extra cores..

Either way..the i5 and i7 are going to be the new standard shortly, so most if not all OS/Software will most likely include the support for it in due time..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.