I wanto to switch but can´t find anything that fits...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a PC user for too many years. Since I see the directions things are moving in the PC side I would like to switch to something else. I am a linux user too but it is not just there, althought I think it is a pretty nice os (ubuntu lover). So I´m left with apple machines. I have some friends that own apple machines and are really happy, so I decided to get one. Now I have ran into a problem, first of all I bought a 20" dell monitor just 3 months ago and I don´t want to get rid of it becasue I´m pertty happy with it. The problem, I think mac mini is too small for me and mac pro bigger, and there´s no exist imac without monitor.

I will use my mac for music (I play the guitar and like to make my songs. Anyway I will be using protools or something like this with virtual synths and effects too, so this is why I think mac mini is not enough for me), I will use it for coding too, and not much for gamming because I own a 360 wich is enough for me (don´t play too much).

So, now, is there any change to get something like an imac without monitor? Because I don´t feel like spending such an amount of money with mac pro (too expensive for me).

If anyone could give here a piece of advice I would be really greatfull,Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
If you can afford it my advice is:

20" iMac + 20" dell monitor as a secondary display. Nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea I agree there is no middle ground area to be honest for a No Monitor solution.

I say go with a iMac or Macbook then you can use your Monitor as a second display and if you get a MAcbook you will have the benefit of being able to use it away form Home.

OP
H
Reaction score
The problem with the ibook is that for doing audio tasks it gets small too (I think , not sure about it), anyway I prefer a desktop set if I´m at home. Is there any posibility of using my dlel monitor as main monitor disabling the one that comes built in in the imac?

HexDump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure but if you have two monitor's you might aswell use them, Multi-Tasking!

Means you will have more room to do stuff, like say have all your Music Stuff on the iMac Monitor while having Safari with Mac Forums (of course) and Messenger in the Dell Monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
In your 1st post "small" seems to mean not powerful enough, in which case the Macbook (Not iBook) should be "big" enough for pro-tools...

If you were to get the 20" iMac it would be silly, in my opinion, to disable the screen so you can use the Dell - Once you see the screen on the iMac I think you'll be pretty happy with that too: So the choice is either dual-screen or ebay the Dell to offset some of the price of the iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
another option is a PowerMac G5....probly around the same price range as the iMac, and more powerful than a mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Get a entry level Mac Pro, they are upgradable.

I sympathise with your problems, I'm having problems setting into the Mac world and it's rather compromised choices of machines.

I started on a Mac Mini a few weeks ago, then thought I would get a laptop for on the move.

I then thought, "I need a desktop class machine" as I want to move my music production to the Mac. I bought an iMac 24 inch for that and decided to sell the Mac Mini.

I'm unhappy with the iMac though, the display isn't good enough (uneven backlight) and it hums when you dim the display. This seems to be typical of this model.

So I am now considering selling the laptop and iMac and just getting the Mac Pro and a monitor.

Trust me, if you can afford to get the pro, just get it, you will save yourself a lot of messing about.

OP
H
Reaction score
Lota of mony mate. The computer is really great but I don´t want to spend such a quantity on a computer... and I really would hate to get rid of it in 3 or 4 years :S.

HexDump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess so, a 20 inch iMac will run music software fine.

I have just gone off the idea of the iMac due to the display issues I am having :S

At least with an external screen I can send just that back or get another.

OP
H
Reaction score
narf I need to run windows on it too, because I need some programs on win, and don´t feel like using parallel or vmware.

Perhaps I could get the 17" (2x20" monitors is too much for me I think) and use the dell as primary keyboard and use the other one when coding, etc... There would be any problem with this setup?.

P.D. Another thing I´m really concerned about is heating and noise. Are this computers silent? do they heat too much?

Thanks for your patience,
HexDump

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would describe the iMac as near silent, however that's without the DVD Drive running, that can create a bit of noise.

As for Heat it hasn't been a problem for me that I've noticed.

Reaction score
I'm unhappy with the iMac though, the display isn't good enough (uneven backlight) and it hums when you dim the display. This seems to be typical of this model.
This is the 1st bad remark regarding the 24" IMac. I seen quite a few IMacs and the display of the 24" compared to the 17" and 20" is much brighter. My friend has one and he has no problems with it. Maybe yours is defective?

OP
H
Reaction score
BIG_D, and there would be any problem attaching my dell as primary monitor? and using onlyh the one that comes built in for aplications taht really need it?.

HexDump.

OP
H
Reaction score
BIG_D, and there would be any problem attaching my dell as primary monitor? and using onlyh the one that comes built in for aplications taht really need it? (using both monitors at same time).

HexDump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
my iMac is completely silent, and always cool...cpu temps never get past 100˚ F . my screen is also perfect, he must have a screwed up one. ur setup will work fine...but i think u will learn to love the apple keyboard and mighty mouse and trash ur dell's eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using a Dell Monitor as a Primary Monitor is not a problem, I sometimes do it for my TV when I'm being Lazy on the Weekend and just want to check the odd bit of News and E-mails. So I can't see it being any problem.

Not 100% what you mean in the Other Question? Are you asking if you need to use a certain Monitor for a Certain Application? If so then No, you can use whatever App on Whatever Monitor you want.

OP
H
Reaction score
Nah, I meant using the monitor that comes built-in only with programs that using both is more productive.

HexDump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the 1st bad remark regarding the 24" IMac. I seen quite a few IMacs and the display of the 24" compared to the 17" and 20" is much brighter. My friend has one and he has no problems with it. Maybe yours is defective?

I think a good number of them are defective, this is the problem.

I will be sending mine back asap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.