I want to Reinstall Mac OS X fonts (wiping out current selection of 2,000+)

Reaction score
Hello,

I added about 2,000 fonts to my computer and I've noticed that it's running like sludge.
I've disabled most of them in FontBook, but know that there are different folders (System, etc.) that also have the fonts in them.

So, is there a way to reinstall the standard fonts that come with OS X without reinstalling the entire OS?

I opened up the "Optional Installs" package on my OS X disc and the only font option is installing "additional" fonts (which is not what I want, obviously).

I've also been on a lot of sites that say, "You can disable this font from this folder....but don't ever delete that font from that folder".
Since I have so many fonts, I don't want to spend the time going through each of the folders and each of the fonts with a fine toothed comb ferreting out which ones need to be kept and which ones are expendable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You say you don't want to reinstall the OS, but have you considered Archive & Install? That will remove all the extra fonts that are in the System, but will leave all your non-OS applications, files, folders, pics, music, etc alone.

Fonts in places other than the System however will not be affected, so you may still have to "ferret out" the extras. Removing them will not affect the OS though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are going to use a lot of fonts I would recommend using a proper font manager instead

Font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

http://fex.linotype.com/download/mac/FontExplorerX123.dmg

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide to best font practices in OS X (the guide is free)

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X - 6th Edition (updated: Oct. 2009)

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.