I want to add files to my library in order.

Reaction score
I organize my iTunes by date added. This way, I can see the newest music at the bottom of my library. Entire albums that I import from CD are in order as well.

However, when I download music, I have a problem. For example, I just got a new album online, and when I added the files (File -> Add to Library . . .) they added in this order: 1, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8. Obviously, the goal was to add them 1 - 15.

Last week, I added an album an the track were completely scattered; 1, 8, 5, 9, 11, 10, 3, 2, etc.

In each case, the tracks were downloaded on the same day around the same time - it doesn't seem to be going by any sort of chronological order of the time the tracks hit my hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea? All I want is to organize albums in track order, by date, ascending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The tracks don't download sequentially according to the track order. The order is determined by the server, the traffic on the server, your connection speed, time of day...etc.
So... whichever track finishes the download first is then obviously marked with the earliest timestamp, making it first in the list.

The only way I can think of that will get you what you want ... them to list sequentially in order... would be to have you modify the tracks (via the file 'Get Info' command, not the iTunes one) in the proper order so the timestamp is changed accordingly.

OP
S
Reaction score
Timestamp

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about changing the info in Get Info once, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I just checked through all the tabs under Get Info again, but none seems to offer the option of checking the timestamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.