I think I have a virus

Reaction score
Hello I have a macbook pro, couple years old. lately my internet is super slow, have to press the options from the finger pad almost to like kick start it or make it register. I have over a terabyte a month of Shaws fastest internet. Tried contacting Apple, their contact support is a joke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
First - you don't have a virus - but you might have malware. There is a difference.

1. Do you currently run any antivirus app? If so what is it and I suggest you uninstall it. Also what version of OS X are you running? How much free space do you have on your hard drive. It is recommended you have at least 10% free or you will see slowdowns.

2. Download a free app called Malwarebytes for Mac. Update it and run it. If there is any malware it should clear it out.

3. Clear your browser history. If you do not know how, post back what the name of your browser so we can post how to instructions.

4. Download the free app Onyx and run its automation selection. That will clear out all the caches and junk. It will also scan your drive to make sure it is okay. Be sure to download the correct version for your version of OS X.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hello I have a macbook pro, couple years old. lately my internet is super slow,

So what Mac model and OS X version are you using???

What speeds are you getting in comparison to the shaw service you're paying for???

What speed test sites have you tried using???

Have you contacted shaw tech support and talked to them of your problem???

When was the last time you shutdown and rebooted everything???

What sites are slow and are they all the same??? Try just hitting up http://www.apple.com/ca/ for example to check.

When did the problem start???

I could go on, but that's enough questions for now I think…

- Patrick
==========

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Every misunderstood computer issue is not a virus. There are sooo many non-virus things that can explain slow internet problems. And some of them aren't even computer related.

Please give the suggestions made a try...and let's see how things turn out.:)

- Nick

p.s. Moved thread to better area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Back to basics .... open the ActivityMonitor.app , select processes and sort by CPU usage.
There just might be a " runaway " process that is eating all your CPU cycles.

Why are you thinking that the Internet connection is the problem ?

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.