• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I really, really hate Apple's DRM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I was editing a wedding last night when I realized that I needed a cleaner version of the song the couple's song. I called them to see if I could get a copy from a CD, but they're both out of town, so I had to find it on my own.

I found and purchased it from the iTMS.

Then I tried converting the song to AIFF using iTunes. No go. Denied.

Then I tried with Quicktime. Denied.

Tried placing it directly into Final Cut Pro. Red render and 5 minutes later, no audio.

I paid $.99 for a song that sucks and I can't even use it in Final Cut Pro.

Granted, I could burn the song to a CD, then re-import as whatever I'd like, but that's wasting a CD for a song that I just *bought*. Not cool.

I ended up using Audio Hijack to get the file into an AIFF.
DRM should die.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz
DRM is a horrible idea. As of late I have been purchasing music from indie labels to avoid headaches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Burn the song to cd and then re-rip it. You lose some quality, but you get rid of the DRM and can use it how you need to.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah but let's not kid ourselves here: there wouldn't be any online music stores if there wasn't DRM in one form or another. I hate DRM too but I think rants should be directed to the big wighats at major record labels.

Apple would never had been allowed to sell/distribute tunes if they wouldn't have DRM in those tunes.

OP
surfwax95
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, true.

It's all about what the record labels want.

But the key words in your post, MHC, are "had been allowed". Apple [iTunes] is such a power-player now, that they could do almost anything they wanted to do without fear of record labels dropping out.

Dropping DRM would mean more money from the consumer.

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe. But who's to say the big record labels wouldn't promptly pull Apple's right to sell online in less than 24 hours if Apple did stop DRM?

Apple is a big player yes but those guys are a united front and are much heavier in the balance. No way Apple could pull this off. Apple (and by the same token us) would lose the iTMS.

And don't forget that some of those heavies have ramification into movie and TV show rights as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Yeah, DRM isnt apple. Its required by the music labels. Apple just makes the DRM , thats all...

Reaction score
Ok thats fine but If i went and bought an album from itms it would have DRM, I go and buy the same album from a store, no-DRM, this just doesn't make sense, and quite frankly should be against the law.

OP
surfwax95
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@TheThirdMan

Yes, but I use a Mac, therefore the only DRM I have to deal with is Apple's. Thus the thread title.

M

MacHeadCase

@ Screwball6986

A lot of those CDs have copy protection on them so you won't be able to import the tunes on your Mac.

Since the Sony debacle with the rootkit incident, I have not bought one single physical CD from a store. Before I do, I want to make sure the record label will put on the CD jacket that there is copy protection or not.

I haven't had the time to check this out yet, hence I buy from the iTMS. Sure I don't get the CD info but at my age I can't even read that small print (makes me think of a bank loan text) and I'd need a telescope to make the print out anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I was editing a wedding last night when I realized that I needed a cleaner version of the song the couple's song. I called them to see if I could get a copy from a CD, but they're both out of town, so I had to find it on my own.

Isn't that ilegal? Isn't that comercial use of intelectual property that you didn't create?
Whether we like it or not DRM and similar are laws designed to protect property, the moment you use this song for something more than your personal use you are breaking the law...
I find it funny that in this forum most members are proud defenders of legal use of software (intelectual property) but breaking DRM seems to be legal, just because we don't like it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wish where was no DRM but alas. I am for the artists getting paid. VERY MUCH for it as a former artist in a way myself. But I find Apples DRM to be the best out there and still be within the law. I think it's pretty fair and keeps the RIAA happy. I personally wish all the $$$ went to the artists but that is not how it works in this world. Too bad but it's the law.

Reaction score
Granted, I could burn the song to a CD, then re-import as whatever I'd like, but that's wasting a CD for a song that I just *bought*. Not cool.

well, I'd do that, but use a RW-CD so you can use it over and over when you encounter DRM :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
So let me get this strait: I've been considering deleting all of the illegal music that I possess from all of the years past and start using iTunes to obtain my music. If I wish to use any of my purchased iTunes music in a video (even with iMovie), I won't be allowed to? That immediately makes me reconsider using iTunes as a music provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
DRM does suck and to be fair to Apple, they seem to want to get rid of it.

I use WireTap Pro to do the same thing occasionally, usually if I want to sample songs for (my own private) music production.

OP
surfwax95
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't that ilegal? Isn't that comercial use of intelectual property that you didn't create?
Whether we like it or not DRM and similar are laws designed to protect property, the moment you use this song for something more than your personal use you are breaking the law...
I find it funny that in this forum most members are proud defenders of legal use of software (intelectual property) but breaking DRM seems to be legal, just because we don't like it.

No, it's only illegal if it were a public viewing. It'd be like burning a home-video with a song from the iTMS as the music - that's kind of the point.

Granted, I'm making money from the DVD, but the song was played at their wedding for a mass audience, nothing different is being done on my DVD. I've had a lawyer look into it for me and it all comes out clean as long as I use songs featured in the original video.

Reaction score

Reply was edited.

Reaction score
So let me get this strait: I've been considering deleting all of the illegal music that I possess from all of the years past and start using iTunes to obtain my music. If I wish to use any of my purchased iTunes music in a video (even with iMovie), I won't be allowed to? That immediately makes me reconsider using iTunes as a music provider.

I've bought some songs off iTunes and I was able to import them into as a soundtrack to a slideshow using iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.