I really don't want to but I may have to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am very ignorant of macs and don't really know what they can do and what they can't do. I have a slight idea, but I'm sure my assumptions are just baseless generalizations.

I was hoping you folks could help me. I'm taking and film editing class and they teach it using final cut. Unfortunately it's only for macs, and I only have access to xp/vista or linux distros.

I am a poor college student and I did get some money from Pell Grants, but most of it went to tuition and books. The rest is still sitting in my account and I can afford about 50% maybe 60% of the cheapest macbook (so about $500) with the 4gb of ram upgrade.

I talked to my parents and they told me they could help me with the rest from tax returns. Great, yes? I am however very worried about this "investment".

I love PCs. I love the fact that if something fries, I can replace the part for cheap (rather than buying the whole **** thing), I like that I can upgrade some parts later on, I like the freedom of it. I also like not having to buy "insurance" for it for that very reason.

I have tried running leopard on a virtual machine, but it reminds me of running wine on ubuntu, which for me was never a great experience. If safari takes a good 30 seconds to load, I can only imagine how final cut will run (molasses, yes?).

I'm also considering reformatting my pc, partitioning a part off and installing leopard there, but I've heard success rate is hit or miss, or something of ilk. I also have to back up a lot of stuff up on my external hdd, so that's going to take a while.

The school does offer lab hours, but I have other classes during those times and the the day that I do have a chance, it's only for one hour and it's 1hr drive. Not sure how efficient that is.

I think I'm going to try out my hackintosh before I make any final decisions. If anyone has any experience with runnin final cut on a hackintosh or has any advice, comments, I would love that.

Also, reason I am very, very , very hesitant with buying anything apple as I was saying, has a lot to do with the "investment" aspect. I was looking to buy the apple care maybe some time down the road when I hopefully will have come across some surplus. I was doing "chat" with a rep on the apple website and I was told that after your "apple care" warranty is finished, you're pretty much on your own.

For me, software, viruses, corrupt file, etc. doesn't seem like much of a problem. I like to back up all my stuff regularly on an external, so I just reformat every 6 months. What concerns me is a hardware failure.

From what I can tell, after my apple care is up, and the next day, my screen fails, I am as they say in spanish: "estoy jodido!". Better put: "up the creek without a paddle".

If I'm correct, trying to repair a mac product is like trying to repair a wii, or a ps3. I'm sure out there somewhere in the nooks of hong kong you can find a part that's similar to what you need and might work, but it's going to cost a lot (relative) and as said...may or may not work.

To me this seems like mac products are not an investment but a disposable consumer good. That is, something you buy to just buy a new version three or five years later. That's would be fine if I was rich or even "well-off" but I'm really not.

I would love to buy a macbook if I knew the thing was going to keep on trucking for years and if something were to go wrong, I could repair it myself for cheap or have it repaired for a moderate price.

I was also thinking of getting a mac mini and hooking it up to my HP Monitor. This seems like the most viable solution. It's not my favorite, I would like a macbook, and I won't have to ask my parents for what they make in about two weeks of work, but beggars can't really be choosers. I have concerns with that as well, I have a feeling apple, being the company it is, will probably have made things hard to sync up, or maybe incompatible altogether. So I would have to end up buying their shiny dongles.

Right now I am leaning more towards a mac, mostly because I'm not sure how smooth the dual-booting will be. I also have a feeling this semester won't be the last time I use Final Cut. I actually like the program and prefer a bit over vegas and premiere, I would also like to see how Maya and 3D Max runs on it and in the future maybe UDK. I was also speaking with a mac rep at an apple store and he told me that more people are going to be asking for macs as my career goes on. I have a feeling he didn't know what he was talking about since I've read, and seen many companies (even major ones) actually use more "linux" platforms and even windows. I'm sure there is some truth in his words though, I really wouldn't know.

Can anyone out there help me with this?

Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry, discussions of Hackintoshes are forbidden here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums,

Ok first off, you are not going to get "hackintosh" help here, and it will not be discussed.... So no more about that, and subject closed.
Secondly, you are totally lost with what you think of the quality of Macs, and their longevity.
Apple compatibility is not what it used to be.... now there is so much on the market, free and paid for, and there is bootcamp so you can run both Windows and OS X on the Mac.
Perhaps you should get a little more educated on Macs before you jump to all the conclusions and assumptions that you have.
Firstly, Macs are a quality piece of machinery, and the support you get from Apple in warranty surpasses that of any other company.
The support you get from the Mac community on this forum for instance surpasses any PC community.
Changing hard drives and Ram in majority of Macs is easy as pie.
Parts such as laptop screens, etc, may be pricey, but no more than they are for any other machine.
There are many online sites like iFixit for guides on stripping down Macs, parts, etc and OWC for HDs, Ram, Batteries, etc
I could go on for ever, but at the end of the day, don't knock it until you try it.
I have had the MacBook I am using now for over 2yrs, and it has NEVER had any performance issues and never crashed!
I expect to get many many yrs out of this Mac, just as I did out of my old Mac.
If you have any legitimate questions or concerns, please post back in specific detail, and I am certain that you will get much helpful information and advise.
You can also look at refurbs on the Apple site. They come as new, with full warranty, and the option to get the extended warranty before the original warranty is up. They come heavily discounted and it takes away the risk of a second hand machine from a private seller!
Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
'nuff said, thanks 6string.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.