I opened my Mac Pro and was disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So, I opened up my Mac Pro to take a look inside. Beautiful. I wanted to check out the hard drive, so I pulled out the carrier, and was shocked at what I saw....

Western Digital.

I will be selling this drive on eBay ASAP and buying a Seagate. Shame on Apple for not going with Seagate for their storage.

Quick question: is the data transfer process as simple as this: buy a Seagate drive, pop it into bay 2, clone (via SuperDuper) from the Western Digital to the Seagate, then remove the Western Digital and put the Seagate in bay 1? The WD drive has two partitions, Mac & Windows. Can both of those be moved over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
I have dealt with literally thousands of hard drives. I have had WAY more trouble w/ Seagate than Western Digital. I don't understand your concern at all. If you must though, I like Carbon Copy Cloner. Works great, I do semi-annual cloning to keep me safe.

OP
C
Reaction score
My personal experience is limited to Maxtor and Seagate. Maxtor has been iffy, Seagate has been rock solid. I've heard horror stories about WD, though, so I'd rather not take the chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have dealt with literally thousands of hard drives. I have had WAY more trouble w/ Seagate than Western Digital.
I would have to agree here. I have never had a single problem with any WD drive I had.
Seagate... well, 9 out of the 11 Seagate drives I had failed after only a year for each one. Suspiciously, not long after the warranty period.
In fact, I still have a Windows box running on the very first HD I ever bought... an 8 GB Western Digital.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I swapped a faultless Western Digital for a faster, larger Seagate and had to replace the Seagate under warranty. I think you're being paranoid about WD and a bit unreasonable to Apple. You can't expect Apple to build your laptop to your own random preferences.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Western Digital is a very good drive. In my line of work I have seen every brand fail over the years including some older WD's, but of the name brands I have seen more Maxtor's fail. Also seen lots of problems with some Samsung's. Western Digital and Seagate have been the MOST reliable of all I have seen or used. No real problems with either brand here in my own systems.

I had 2 Samsung 80GB drives fail their S.M.A.R.T status within the first 3-4 months! Then they started going SLOW as can be, like they were running in ATA33 instead of ATA100 yet their utility said they were in ATA100.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm.. ok then. I could've sworn WD had issues, but I've been doing some searching and it seems they're fine. Maxtor is definitely one to avoid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hmm.. ok then. I could've sworn WD had issues, but I've been doing some searching and it seems they're fine. Maxtor is definitely one to avoid.

I would agree. I tend to view WD and Seagate as premium brands, worth paying more for. In my experience they are both more reliable, quieter and faster peforming than most of the competition.

I agree as well on Maxtor. I have had more than my fair share of Maxtor's die under my feet over the years. I now avoid them like the plague.

The WD in your Mac Pro will serve you well! Enjoy it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Haha, I have a nice 7200 RPM WD drive in my PC, very reliable and quick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, Maxtor's quality should be going up as well since Seagate bought them a while back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i only buy WD
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Just had a look....mine has a Fujitsu....?
I have used Seagate WD Samsung drives in the past...no real problems spring to mind.
I have a 160gb Maxtor SATA in and external drive for bckup etc at the moment. Its over 12months old. Works fine, although it is a bit noisy when the head reader moves around.
Ithink alot to do with it is how you treat them. Bump them when running, allow too much dust in the encasing, and not do regular derfags etc probably contribute to the life expectancy of HDD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Toshiba in my MacBook - nice and quiet, very nice HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Actually, Maxtor's quality should be going up as well since Seagate bought them a while back.

Its been almost a year and a half since the acquisition. Maxtor and Seagate should have the same quality.

Reaction score
I have used various WD drives exclusively over the years for audio recording/playback workstations used everyday in very demanding situations without one failure, ever. WD drives are almost always the fastest drives in their class, and don't cost anymore than anything else is you do a bit of shopping.

NO, I haven't tried other brands...I have had no reason to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I hear you man. Usually Apple uses Seagate drives, I've never personally seen a WD in a newer Apple machine.

I'm an IT manager and manage about 100 workstations (all Dell), and I have by far had the most trouble out of WD hard drives. I am a die-hard Seagate fan, and at home I refuse to put any kind of important data of mine on any drive other than a Seagate. Out of many, many hard drives I have replaced that have failed, only 1 of those have been Seagate. I have replaced tons of Hitachi, Fujitsu, IBM, and Maxtors in my time, but the number of WD drives I have replaced due to failure is probably more than those other brands combined.

I have a few Compaq Proliant servers that have no joke been running 24/7 for nearly 8 years with Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives that have never failed or been replaced. Ever since the Barracuda 7200.7, Seagate has by far been the most reliable drive in my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'll definitely vouch for Seagate. I still have a 20GB Seagate drive kicking around somewhere which I bought back in 2000.

Though my experience with WD has been great as well. I currently have two 74GB Raptors in my PC, a 120GB drive, and a 80GB drive. I also have a 250GB Seagate and a 200GB Maxtor (didn't buy the last one, pulled it out of a non-working computer).

You have to keep in mind that hard drives are fragile pieces of hardware. They have to spin at ridiculously fast speeds, so they are prone to wear and tear in ways other parts of the computer aren't. Plus, hard drives are produced by the millions, so having a couple thousand go bad is still pretty good on the manufacturer's part.

Plus, you think Seagate drives don't go bad? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Yeah...I have a 1.83 Mini with 80 GB HD, and can't find the brand of HD it uses.

Anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Had a Maxtor fail, had Seagate's lose a lot of data due to loads of bad blocks.

Had IBM drive with nearly a 3rd of the disc unusable due to bad blocks.

One factor you have consider is handling, some delivery drivers throw the stuff around. You can't blame a failure on the manufacturer if it was damaged in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.