I need to read .xls format files

Reaction score
I downloaded .xls files from an email and cannot read them,
I am using the macbook os x 10.5.8
Is there an application I have already that will open the files for me or a free downloadable program?

Regards

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
OpenOffice.org FREE
I use it the same as I would MS Office. It has similar functions to MSWord, Excel, and Power Point. As a matter of fact, I just used it today to open a .xls file that my wife emailed me from her work computer that she created with Excel.

EDIT: In the interest of being fair, there is also NeoOffice that does the same thing and it is free too. I've never used it, so I can't compare but I'm sure most people here will tell you they're about the same so take your pick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I thought Numbers could open .xls files. I'm sure I did that, but I didn't keep it beyond the 30 trial period.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Numbers can open *.XLS files, however, iWork09 is not free whereas Open Office is. :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but the OP may already have it. It's a possibility, just by virtue of the way the question was asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, miles, it does. Good attention to detail. OP just asked for the ability to read .xls files. That will do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I downloaded .xls files from an email and cannot read them,
If you didn't realize from the other replies, .xls files are Microsoft Excel files so any application that can read Excel files will work.

EDIT: In the interest of being fair, there is also NeoOffice that does the same thing and it is free too. I've never used it, so I can't compare but I'm sure most people here will tell you they're about the same so take your pick.
I have both OpenOffice and NeoOffice installed on my computer. I tend to use NeoOffice more because it feels more Mac polished compared to OpenOffice. It's a lot of little things but MYmacROX is correct they are both very similar and are basically the same application except NeoOffice is made exclusively for Mac using OpenOffice. In the past OpenOffice didn't develop the Mac version too well.

Before OpenOffice spent more effort on their Mac version I would have said NeoOffice all the way but now it's really a subject to personal preference. They are both free so anyone can try both out for themselves and come up with their own opinions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.