I need the old version of iPhoto to open original movie files

cpc

Reaction score
Can I uninstall os x yosemite and reinstall os x snow leopard?

I still have original discs which came with the iMac. I desperately need to open movie files I have on my external hard drive which were saved using the old version of iPhoto.

If I can reinstall snow leopard, can I then reinstall ilife from my applications install dvd, to then, in effect, have my old computer back? and then be able to access my files??

Please give me some hope to getting my movies back! I'm in complete panic mode!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iPhoto doesn't open movie files, it uses Quicktime for that. What format/file type are your movie files?

C

chas_m

There is no old version of iPhoto that saved videos in a format the current iPhoto cannot read. We're missing a lot of information here, but the bottom line is that iPhoto is not the problem. If you have the videos, then something will be able to read and convert them, so don't worry about that.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
chas_m

I'm just wondering if VLC, which opens just about anything, would allow the OP to view his videos? And it has some conversion options as well. And it's free.

The only other video conversion software with which I have personal experience is "Toast Titanium", but it's pricey. On the other hand, the OP could permanently batch convert all his videos for future saving/viewing if VLC can't do the job.

Certainly no need to go back to Snow Leopard.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you mean iPhoto or actually iMovie which is in the Application Folder?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We need a bit more information. As far as I know the current version of iMovie will open files created by earlier versions of iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.